Rules every coach should know cold

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2015
Over the past few weeks I have witnessed some errors on rules and rule calling. I have also witnessed coaches, parents and officials who are uneducated on it all. We are in the heart of All-Stars and it’s very important to know when a rule is violated, and what the penalty is; and you need to be able to make this assessment instantaneously.

If you were to give a new coach some advice regarding the most common rules to know cold, what would your top 10 be? Not only knowing the rule, but what the penalty for the infractions is, is also important to protect yourself and assure calls in your favor are correctly handled.

My top 10

1. Batting out of order
2. Ball out of play
3. Interference
4. Obstruction
5. Drop third strike
6. Look back rule
7. Illegal Pitch
8. Dead ball at plate
9. Infield fly
10. How to correctly make an appeal

I am not saying if you know these rules you need not know any other rules. But a new coach needs to start somewhere, and absolutely positively knowing these rules, rules that are commonly broken in many games is a good beginning.

Looking for your recommendations.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Good list.

I will also add that not only does the coach need to know these rules, they also need to know the subtle differences in these rule that may exist from one sanction to another (ASA, USSSA, NSA, etc.)

I do have a question for you on one item on your list...what situation or ruling are you referring to on #8?

Jan 14, 2015
Good list.

I will also add that not only does the coach need to know these rules, they also need to know the subtle differences in these rule that may exist from one sanction to another (ASA, USSSA, NSA, etc.)

I do have a question for you on one item on your list...what situation or ruling are you referring to on #8?

When the batted ball hits the batter while in the box and the PU calls "dead ball". Quite often I hear parents and sometimes even a coach say "why is that a dead ball".

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Top 10

1. Pitcher not maintaining contact with the rubber
2. Size of the batters box
3. Infield Fly
4. Slide/No Slide at Home
5. Look Back Rule
6. Interference
7. Obstruction
8. Illegal Pitch
9. Catcher Interference
10. Hit By Pitch Outside the box either in the strike zone or not.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I would add hitting a ball outside of the batters box. At the last tournament a slapper stepped 6 inches out of the front of the box. The ump saw it but thought both feet had to be out of the box. He did get with FU for clarificaiton and called her out.

May 29, 2013
Good list. I might put substitution/roster rules in there ahead of #1 and/or #8. Especially for all-stars coaches used to rec rules (ours were bat the roster w/ unlimited defensive substitutions) the "real" substitution rules are both complex & important. (made more complex by differing under various sanctions and often also by tournament).

Jun 22, 2008
Top 10

1. Pitcher not maintaining contact with the rubber
2. Size of the batters box
3. Infield Fly
4. Slide/No Slide at Home
5. Look Back Rule
6. Interference
7. Obstruction
8. Illegal Pitch
9. Catcher Interference
10. Hit By Pitch Outside the box either in the strike zone or not.

#4, no such thing as a must slide at any time.
#9, is catchers obstruction.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Every coach needs to know the difference between a judgment call and a rules violation. Obstruction and interference are judgment calls. It doesn't matter what the coach thinks the rule says.

I definitely agree that coaches need to know how to properly appeal. They also need to know what is and is not subject to protest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi