Rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
*waves white flag* The umpire in the OP was an officious, narcissistic idiot who over-stepped his/her authority and just MSU. AS I have said all along, this isn't a call anyone sane would make on their own. And, after further review, Comp has convinced me that there is no justification for anything other than telling the offense to pound sand and suck it up.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Also, checked with the state association, under NFHS code, this situation is not addressed, and although the rules interpreter agreed it seemed unsporting, she would not address it in game and let it go. I am glad this was a lively discussion and now know how something like this will be handled in games I work. Thanks to all who participated, sincerely.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I'd love to be the offensive coach who could decide where the fielders get to stand.

"My runner can't see the pitcher so I'd like first to play in the grass. She can't see my signs in the third base box, so I need 3rd base to move into the grass too. Shortstop's raspy chatter makes it hard for my batter and runner to hear my verbal instructions, so I'd like her in the grass. Second's sunglasses are sending a glare toward the batter, so I need her to move into the grass as well. The centerfielder's extra wide rear is blending in with the pitcher's motion, so maybe she could just go home. The scorekeeper is ugly and it makes my batters queasy, so perhaps he could be replaced with the pitcher's hot mom. The head coach's cargo shorts are a fashion nightmare, and my players find them disturbing, so how bout you eject him."

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'd love to be the offensive coach who could decide where the fielders get to stand.

"My runner can't see the pitcher so I'd like first to play in the grass. She can't see my signs in the third base box, so I need 3rd base to move into the grass too. Shortstop's raspy chatter makes it hard for my batter and runner to hear my verbal instructions, so I'd like her in the grass. Second's sunglasses are sending a glare toward the batter, so I need her to move into the grass as well. The centerfielder's extra wide rear is blending in with the pitcher's motion, so maybe she could just go home. The scorekeeper is ugly and it makes my batters queasy, so perhaps he could be replaced with the pitcher's hot mom. The head coach's cargo shorts are a fashion nightmare, and my players find them disturbing, so how bout you eject him."

I thought this was satire until I got to the part about the coach's cargo shorts.

Dec 11, 2010
I just want to say that no one makes cargo shorts like Lee does.

The rest are all just posers.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The head coach's cargo shorts are a fashion nightmare, and my players find them disturbing, so how bout you eject him."

There is zero possibility of being "neatly attired" in cargo shorts, so you don't even need to ask for this one.. Coach, you need to change or leave the ballpark.

Mar 28, 2014
So anything that isn't prohibited in the rules is fair game? If there isn't a rule against it, it is ok.
Duh Ed that's how rules work. Laws too. You don't list everything you can do, you list things you can't do. So if it isn't listed as something you can't do, it's legal and allowed.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Duh Ed that's how rules work. Laws too. You don't list everything you can do, you list things you can't do. So if it isn't listed as something you can't do, it's legal and allowed.
Then why does EVERY rule code include a variation of this: USSSA Rule 14.12.M The Plate Umpire shall stand behind the catcher. The Plate Umpire shall make all decisions except those commonly reserved for the Base Umpire. The duties of the Plate Umpire shall include the following: Have the authority to make decisions on any situation not specifically covered in the rules

Every rule code in every sport I am familiar with has a provision for officials to address situations that the rules editors did not consider. Players and coaches EDIT: are can be very resourceful and devious folks.

Jul 2, 2013
The centerfielder's extra wide rear is blending in with the pitcher's motion, so maybe she could just go home.

Not just "big rear" but "extra wide rear". It's the fact that you went the extra mile that makes this post top notch. :D

Also, I feel targeted by the cargo shorts comment. Although I am phasing them out and they aren't being replaced as they die out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying