Rule Differences between High School and TB?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Don

Mar 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
My daughter has played 3 years on travel teams, but just recently made the JV team. Other than the fact they play a full 7 innings, are there any rule differences? I don't want to be thinking to myself that the coach is doing something crazy when it may just be a rule difference that I'm not aware of.

Thanks

Don

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My daughter has played 3 years on travel teams, but just recently made the JV team. Other than the fact they play a full 7 innings, are there any rule differences? I don't want to be thinking to myself that the coach is doing something crazy when it may just be a rule difference that I'm not aware of.

Thanks

Don

Not trying to be a smart rear, but you apparently are not aware of the situation.

HS ball is ball played in HS. Most states use the NFHS-prescribed rules as a base with a few variations installed by the local HS association.

Travel ball is a generic term that has no specific rule set. To get an accurate answer, you need to be more specific as to the sanctioning body under which the games are played.

Jun 22, 2008
Speaking ASA/TCS vs NFHS there are several small differences in the rules. The biggest differences are in the pitching and look back rules. As amy indicated, in ASA/TCS the pitcher is required to start with both feet in contact with the pitching plate. In FED the pitcher can step back before the hands come together or start with the step foot back.

As for the look back rule, ASA/TCS require both posession of the ball and control by the pitcher for the look back rule to be in effect. In FED on posession is required. As an example, in ASA/TCS if the pitcher puts the ball under her arm or between her legs to adjust her pony tail, she no longer has control of the ball and the runners are free to go. In FED short of the pitcher laying the ball on the ground the look back rule is in effect.

FED also only protects the initial play on the ball from interference. If F5 were to make a play on a grounder and missed it, but F6 still has a chance on the ball, F6 is not protected from interference by a runner.

There are also some differences in batting out of order rules as well as some other minor differences. I believe the chart posted above lists all of the differences.

Oh, forgot, other biggest difference is in the bunt rule. In ASA/TCS the batter has to actually offer at the pitch if the ball is out of the zone to be called a strike. In FED if the batter does not pull the bat back it is considered a strike.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi