rubber or steel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
what kind of cleats do most of your pitchers prefer metal or rubber and what are the advantages for their choices

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Metal. Better grip, better push, better plant.

It took DD exactly 1 practice to decide to throw her rubber cleats away.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Metal cleats are not allowed until 16U (high school) in most sanctions. My DD loves her Ringor cleats and paying a little extra $ for the reinforced pitching toe is wise investment if your DD is a pitcher. Otherwise, you will be buying new cleats every 3-4 months. Ringors are a little pricey, so I did not start buying them until my DD feet stopped growing, buy now she will not wear anything else. The fact that Ringor cleats are marketed to softball doesn't hurt either!

My daughter would probably prefer metal, but her orthopedic surgeon will not allow her to wear them any more. She had her knee repaired and he told her metal would cause too much torque on her knee again. She uses Ringors, too, and loves them. They have lasted much better than other ones.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
CoachFP, first time someone runs off the field and hits the concrete, you will understand. Metal by providing more traction, you must left your feet, not drag them like many kids do. If not done properly you can blow a knee with metal because they don't give. Your foot stops and you are not use to it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Ok, so you stay away from concrete. Then you tell the kids to stop dragging their feet. Lesson over.

Try getting kids to stop dragging their feet in places where the demographic is 40% Asian. It's a cultural thing and it's very hard to teach. You're a good coach, and I know you're being sarcastic and you don't believe that just telling a kid is going to suddenly solve a major mechanical problem. The issue is that the kids can still use the cleats with lousy mechanics, and they end up with the knee and ankle problems mentioned above.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1