Rotational back to Linear???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You want flexion in the ankles and knees.

Is this hitting stance better suited to females than males? That's the part I found most interesting from SBF - ''Stay tall is a problem for most females.'' I don't have an opinion on that, just hadn't thought of it. A hitting coach has told my DD not to bend over, but he was referring to bending during the weight shift forward/stride, not the stance. Just made me curious.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I very seldom venture over to hitting from the pitching side but I'm really looking for some input. DD has been learning from a recent D1 DH since last fall and is learning rotational style hitting (from what I've been recently reading). She seemed to be having success in winter training - but in games has had little success - moving down to the #9 spot, scooping under the ball, bending the legs to much - soft front leg, dropping her shoulder. Everyone has been piping in to give her advice now which has been very confusing.

A TB coach in our area has offered to help her out with what he said looked like obvious issues he sees. We have had two sessions with him and I saw right away that his style was completely different than what she has been learning. He wants her to stay tall, extend her arms, no intentional hips I would say . . . says her current style will always limit her reaching inside and outside pitches, is suitable for 18G and college and is making her too slow when facing faster pitching. I am really nervous about continuing with his suggestions, but DD says it feels better, feels like it makes sense to her . . . and she was definitely struggling to put it all together what she has been learning.

Help. I am wondering are there certain body styles that work better with different styles? Is anyone still teaching linear hitting or is this guy from the dark ages?

Okay, I'm not a hitting Guru on here so take this as a for what it's worth. That being said, from my perspective and many other experts, the hallowed high level swing is a combination of both a rotational swing to start and a linear swing to follow through. So the question is, which do you choose to have your DD swing? Check out the hitting threads on here and learn why she should be doing what the hitting gurus think that she should be doing. The believe in the Hanson principle. Look it up! Be converted to a better swing! or least choices.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I see it as both rotational & linear/perpendicular planes:
PerpendicularPlanes.jpg

DOrtiz.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is this hitting stance better suited to females than males? That's the part I found most interesting from SBF - ''Stay tall is a problem for most females.'' I don't have an opinion on that, just hadn't thought of it. A hitting coach has told my DD not to bend over, but he was referring to bending during the weight shift forward/stride, not the stance. Just made me curious.

Posture isn't just helpful for female hitters, but for male hitters as well.

Notice the routine Manny goes through here .....

Watch as he closes up his stance .... then places the barrel in his lead hand only, taps the plate and raises the barrel towards the pitcher ... then sweeps the barrel back into his stance and moves from an upright posture to an athletic posture with bent waist, knees & ankles.

2crsl53.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Many hitters, including Bustos, dynamically load in this manner .... that is, as they move forward you will see anterior tilt taking place in a powerful dynamic loading pattern. I had cut-up videos of Bustos doing this ... but the moderators would prefer that I not post them here, but it's fairly common ......

21b643c.gif

2vmvs60.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Sometimes, the hitter will lower, before they move out.
Before the ball is even released.
i-KCsNVdV-M.gif

Of course there are elements of lineal AND rotational Mechanics in the high level swing.
The TERMS ROTATIONAL and LINEAL, I use, to describe two types of hitting methods.
Rotational, I always used to describe the major league swing, period.
Lineal, a swing that I thought that the major league players used, one I WAS taught, the one I TAUGHT, and the one I threw in the garbage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd