Rotation Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am the AC for a 14U team. Yesterday the coach and I talked about a rotation schedule for the girls on the team. We have a lot of good players and we don't want to limit them to a base, the outfield, pitching, etc. We are trying to come up with a rotation that will put a player in a position that exerts a lot of energy (pitching, catching, short stop, etc.) and the in the next inning rotate them into a different position that allows them to play but "rest" a bit at the same time... We were thinking something like 1st base, right field, center field would be one rotation as an example. A rotation would allow all players to play and give them a chance to try different fielding positions. If a particular person wanted to play a different position that isn't in their rotation, all they would have to do is tell us and we would work them into that rotation.

I'm new to coaching and I would like to get your input on this approach. Do you think a rotation like this is a good idea? If you use a rotation on your team, would you mind sharing it with me?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 6, 2012
While I admire the idea of giving kids a chance to try different positions, I think that rotating players by inning will cause kids to be more unsettled and NOT get the work at different positions that they need. For example, you put a player at SS for an inning. Maybe she gets one or two balls hit to her or none at all. If she makes a mistake, how will she have time to rebound from that mistake and settle in? If you are going to have a "rotation" give your players at least a half of a game to play that position. Generally, we try to do a complete game at a position before changing. This gives the players opportunities to participate in many different plays and situations.

As for which positions give more "rest," I am not sure that is something a player should ever be doing? We teach our players that EVERYONE on the field should be moving on a play, whether it is to get the ball, back up the play, or cover an empty base. So, there really is no "rest." Besides, how do you know which positions will be the busiest during any given inning.

It also depends on whether this is pool play or elimination play. We tend to move players more during pool play than in bracket play, simply because the focus during pool play is giving players opportunity, while in bracket play we want to put the best team on the field.

I think it's good to have a plan to move players around, but I do think that you also need to give players ample innings to learn and play the position. We have certain players who play certain positions, but we base it on what their skills are, what they are interested in, etc. not on giving them rest.

Jan 15, 2009
Honestly, pitching and catching is probably 3 times as much work as any other position. Unless you only have 9 or 10 kids, I'd give them the next game off or maybe half the game off (i.e. DP or flex or sub in). I understand that sometimes the pitchers and catchers are the best players on the team and the best at multple spots in the field. It can be hard to give them a break, but this is supposed to be a team game.

Apr 6, 2012
I agree that pitchers and catchers need rest, but at our age group, these are kids who want to play other positions as well. Plus, unless you have a big roster, you may need those players. We do change pitchers and catchers every game if possible, but more than likely they will play the next game at a different position.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2012
At some point every player needs to know 2 positions for rotation. More than that and they risk not settling in and not being an expert in said position. Practice is where you get better and games are where you excel.

As for sitting pitchers/catchers that depends on the competitiveness of the player and the level you play. DD never likes to sit and always wants to contribute to the team. Add to that her level of conditioning and resting her is not necessary. Pitching her back to back is a no no but putting her on defense is ok.

Feb 3, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am the AC for a 14U team. Yesterday the coach and I talked about a rotation schedule for the girls on the team. We have a lot of good players and we don't want to limit them to a base, the outfield, pitching, etc. We are trying to come up with a rotation that will put a player in a position that exerts a lot of energy (pitching, catching, short stop, etc.) and the in the next inning rotate them into a different position that allows them to play but "rest" a bit at the same time... We were thinking something like 1st base, right field, center field would be one rotation as an example. A rotation would allow all players to play and give them a chance to try different fielding positions. If a particular person wanted to play a different position that isn't in their rotation, all they would have to do is tell us and we would work them into that rotation.

I'm new to coaching and I would like to get your input on this approach. Do you think a rotation like this is a good idea? If you use a rotation on your team, would you mind sharing it with me?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the club!

I think it's a very bad idea to rotate positions every inning at the 14u level. I understand that you want players working multiple positions, but they don't have to play 4-5 positions in a single game.

Every 3 innings would be ok, but depending on the goals of your team, it may be a good idea to map out the 1st 2-3 innings and then let the game situation dictate your rotations from there.

For both rec and TB, I usually plan 6 innings and make any changes as needed during the game. I use spreadsheets and can easily track each player's innings at every position.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Your rotation idea is great for early age rec ball players, but I am not so sure how well it will be received at 14U, especially if this is a TB team....how many games do you play in a day? If you have girls getting tired playing a couple of games in a day I would worry more about conditioning and less about rotations.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Agree with most of the responses, mostly Momo’sDad.

Pitchers and catchers need to be put in a category of their own. Some days it gets really hot on the field and you need to pay special attention to these positions. If you spilt the game between 2 catchers you should be OK, pitchers you are on your own.

After that I would put players into a specific position for multiple innings. Of course they will not get to play everywhere in a single game but that is OK. Just tell them you are setting up each Player to play 2 positions each game, next game it might be a different 2 positions. Most Players should be happy when you explain how your game plan is going to work.

I was annoyed about playing time opening day. DD only played 2 innings. Couple days latter AC explained they were setting up the lineup in 2 inning stretches. DD played more than some other players the next game, again in 2 inning stretches. Once it was explained what they were doing I was happy.

Come up with a system that the Players will understand and the coaching staff does not need to get a headache trying to hold together.

Edit to add: Like Momo’sDad said keep a spreadsheet of where everyone plays. Let individual games play out, don't be afraid to make changes in your original game plan Use the spreadsheet to organize for your next game based on your coaching philosophy.

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Thanks everyone for the replies - please keep them coming.

I do agree that switching every inning may not be the best idea after reading all of your responses. We are just trying to allow everyone to experience different areas of the field but it doesn't allow them to settle in to that position.

Awesome responses - thanks again and thank you for the welcome. :)

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
How many games do you play? I prefer the idea of a full game at a position, then another game at another position. How often does it happen that someone gets into a game and gets almost NO action at that spot? Unless they are pitcher/catcher/1B, it can and does happen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA