roster rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2014
Hello all,
New to the forum and travel ball. We have put together a program here and have scraped together enough players to field a 10u, 12u and 14u team. Going to play about a half dozen tournaments for each team this year.

Question is probably a simple one. Thought I could ask it here for a quick answer. If I had a 14u tournament where I was going to be short 1 player, could we have a 12u player play that tournament with the 14u team just for that tournament? Or if the girl is on the 12u team roster is she only allowed to play 12u tournaments with her 12u team? These will be USSSA tournaments. All teams are from the same organization.

I guess what I am asking if a 12 year old can be on a 12u roster and a 14u roster at the same time.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Speaking generally, it depends more often than not on the TD whether she can play on the 12U team and 14U team during the same tournament as a sub. Usually the answer is no but I have been to several that just don't care. As far as the alphabet soup organizations go, unless it is either a Regional or National Qualifying tournament, then see the answer above. However, I have yet to find an ABC organization that will let you be on more than one listed roster. If you would perchance list her on the 14U for a Regional or National Qualifier, depending on the USSSA rules, once rostered on the 14U team, she could be stuck playing 14U. Since USSSA is not big in NE Ohio, you'll have to wait for an answer from someone more knowledgeable than me....probably from Florida:cool:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2014
I see in the rule book you cannot play on two teams in the same tournament. This would not be the case. It would be the rare instance where say the 14u team needed 1 additional player. 12u had the weekend off.

To add a bit more info, we have a 14u team looking to travel out of state for 1 tournament. Just for the fun and experience. These girls have never done anything like that. With money being the way it is, we might have a couple of girls who cant travel to the tournament. One family has a daughter on the 14u and 12u. Easy solution would be to have the 12u daughter just go along and play to fill a spot if needed.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
She can play on the 14u roster but as a pick up player. You will not get denied by turning in the proper paperwork.

I noticed a change in usssa rules this year. A 12A player can guest play on a 14B team etc. It says a younger player can play up in any classification.

If your talking national qualifier or national events they have rules on guest players but do allow it. Based on what you stated she can play both as a 12u rostered player and a 14u pick up or guest player.

Jan 20, 2010
In the spring before all the 14's are done playing HS ball rosters are rarely checked in my area. Players do sub......instead of a no blacket statement I should of said it really depends on the TD and type of tournament playing in as others have said. If a qualifier for a higher championship level is being offered the answer is no you can not roster her she will be tied to the 14U roster, so she will no be able to go down and play 12U qualifier at a later date. Well she can but if someone challenges the roster you could have issues. So I guess my ammended answer would be yes, sometimes, maybe and no.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA