Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
BM, so how far off am I when I say that "Connection" is not stagnant and just the hands and shoulders but rather a "dynamic event" that starts with the toe touch/heel touch and a situation where the hands are active throughout the process including tip and rip, turn the barrel, ... Is Dynamic Connection a bad term?

Jul 14, 2008
BM, so how far off am I when I say that "Connection" is not stagnant and just the hands and shoulders but rather a "dynamic event" that starts with the toe touch/heel touch and a situation where the hands are active throughout the process including tip and rip, turn the barrel, ... Is Dynamic Connection a bad term?

Only in the fact that is has the word "connection" in it........Connection to me refers to separate parts all going the same direction and then "connecting" the sum of those parts.......That formula seems to be void of what I consider "loading".......

Consider the golf swing as it relates to "loading the shaft" or "shaft load"..........This is the single most important equation to producing force and acceleration..........It isn't about "connecting" things together to create speed.........It's about creating a resisting force that stores energy, and then having that energy be released through centripetal force creating an "unbalanced" force acting on the system........

You're DD plays Golf........I'm hoping that made sense to you..........Getting more parts moving "together/connecting" isn't the key to a more powerful golf swing either...........

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks, makes a lot of sense. For me, the way I've taught and viewed the swing makes sense to me and I've often pointed out that most others view the term connection differently than I. Maybe I'll need to pick a new word.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I believe it was MarkH that frequently attempted to clarify that connection was not meant to be a rigid freezing of body parts ... but more an energy flow.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Only in the fact that is has the word "connection" in it........Connection to me refers to separate parts all going the same direction and then "connecting" the sum of those parts.......That formula seems to be void of what I consider "loading".......

Consider the golf swing as it relates to "loading the shaft" or "shaft load"..........This is the single most important equation to producing force and acceleration..........It isn't about "connecting" things together to create speed.........It's about creating a resisting force that stores energy, and then having that energy be released through centripetal force creating an "unbalanced" force acting on the system........

You're DD plays Golf........I'm hoping that made sense to you..........Getting more parts moving "together/connecting" isn't the key to a more powerful golf swing either...........

Bold above .... very key IMO!

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

Very good post.

Oct 12, 2009
It's about creating a resisting force that stores energy, and then having that energy be released through centripetal force creating an "unbalanced" force acting on the system........

The problem with the statement above is that it doesn't make sense from the standpoint of physics or physiology, which is why I don't use fuzzy terms like "corner" in my teaching.

First, resisting forces don't store energy. It's more subtle than that.

Also centripetal force doesn't release the energy. Instead, it does the equivalent of storing it, but it doesn't actually store it.

Instead, you exert a centripetal force to maximize the potential energy of the system. The longer you apply the centripetal force, the greater the potential energy.

The point and value of connection is that, by binding things together as much as is possible and appropriate given the location of the pitch, you are maximizing the potential energy of the system, which maximizes the bat speed when that force is released.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
To put it in another way since resistive forces are hard to understand for some people. Connection refers to the individual parts of a kinetic chain transferring their power within the correct window of time to the next part of the chain. To have this effect you need lag in the system (bent elbow in the downswing in pitching, cocked wrists at the top of the golf swing, loading around the corner in hitting), coil in pretty much everything, Fire too early or two late and you lose the "connection" and the force transfer is lost/significantly reduced. But the connection definitely refers to keeping the next link in the chain within a timing window not a rigid physical window (except for the fact that the human body does have it's limitations so at some point the timing window would manifest itself as a physical position). Its very much like the timing of an engine, everything is connected but nothing is connected with a rigid joint. Everything moves fluidly at exactly the right time to transfer power efficiently.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
JJs, it's one thing of body parts to be pressed together by the motion of the swing as energy is transferred/released in a sequential manner ... it's altogether another thing to "bind things together" as others tend to advocate.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
The problem with the statement above is that it doesn't make sense from the standpoint of physics or physiology, which is why I don't use fuzzy terms like "corner" in my teaching.

First, resisting forces don't store energy. It's more subtle than that.

Also centripetal force doesn't release the energy. Instead, it does the equivalent of storing it, but it doesn't actually store it.

Instead, you exert a centripetal force to maximize the potential energy of the system. The longer you apply the centripetal force, the greater the potential energy.

The point and value of connection is that, by binding things together as much as is possible and appropriate given the location of the pitch, you are maximizing the potential energy of the system, which maximizes the bat speed when that force is released.
And you say Torres was coached out of tipping the bat, because his coaches though he had bat wrap. Torres played on the same teams as Posey and Wright, and the coaches never touched them... You don't know what you are doing, and Torres probably was wrapping the bat, based on the knowledge you share. Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG