Rose olored Glasses and The Elephant in the Room

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
Easton, this is a great clip to compare how the hands direct and load at the same time. Notice the pivot point on the "bat" (about 6-8" above the hands) with the hitter on the left. He's still directing/loading in the hands, but he's shortened the bat YET still creates tremendous load and adjustability. The hitter on the right does not load the barrel behind. He pulls and pushes a long bat. There is no appearance of a shortened bat or "pivot point" on the bat above the hands. More effort, less productivity.

This is the difference of having "great hands".

2z8cg89.gif

Posey uses his hands. Torres is connect and spin.

Jun 1, 2013
Easton, this is a great clip to compare how the hands direct and load at the same time. Notice the pivot point on the "bat" (about 6-8" above the hands) with the hitter on the left. He's still directing/loading in the hands, but he's shortened the bat YET still creates tremendous load and adjustability. The hitter on the right does not load the barrel behind. He pulls and pushes a long bat. There is no appearance of a shortened bat or "pivot point" on the bat above the hands. More effort, less productivity.

This is the difference of having "great hands".

2z8cg89.gif

I get what you are saying but I disagree on some parts of it. The hands on the batter on the right is a "symptom" of the hip and hands swing. The only thing I think he is directing is the back elbow to get it locked with hip movement and the front elbow to get around. But hey, I am an amateur.

Oct 12, 2009
These 2 MLB hitters reach almost the exact same position on similar inside pitches.........

11b6l9k.gif

How they get there is COMPLETELY different.......The hitter on the right never carves out his path.......He never loads the barrel behind the corner..........

2z8cg89.gif

As I have explained before, Torres doesn't get behind the corner from the left side because he was coached out of it in an effort to fix his "problem" with bat wrap.[1]

I keep trying to put it back in, but his pro coaches keep taking it out.

In general, hitters are going to struggle getting behind the corner if their coaches are fixated on the "problem" of bat wrap.

[1] He does a better job of getting behind the corner from the right side, which is why he tends to hit better from the right side.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
BM, when you say corner...could you describe a bit more of what you mean please? When Welly takes about the corner, it's not the same as what I would say is the corner. I know he tries to follow what you have laid out. Not saying he is wrong, just different. Thanks

Jul 14, 2008
BM, when you say corner...could you describe a bit more of what you mean please? When Welly takes about the corner, it's not the same as what I would say is the corner. I know he tries to follow what you have laid out. Not saying he is wrong, just different. Thanks

MY corner is a point at which the culmination of resultant force acting on the barrel intersects with directed force to create acceleration that exceeds the net torque force being placed on the handle alone........

v5e5gy.gif

x2wkyh.gif

Whether you get that jibberish or not.........That is my corner...........

Jul 14, 2008
I am working on it...I've googled "resultant force" so far.

LOL Good for you.........So now you understand that Resultant Force is simply reducing a system of forces into a single force-torque.

More simply stated that all the things being done (system of forces) to get the barrel MOVING have the same goal!

At some point, the barrels direction becomes angular.....Or circular........."Directed Force" is slang for "angular torque" calculated from "linear force".......

Understanding that a "corner" is an intersection, and in this case an intersection of forces, you can see in this swing when resultant force intersects with angular torque the barrel is accelerated into contact.........

x2wkyh.gif

The KEY is to make sure the barrel is loaded "behind that corner" in order for that intersection to occur, creating maximum acceleration/whip into contact.......Another important key is to understand that the "corner" is neither 2 dimensional OR level in space.......It has unlimited shapes and sizes, and occurs in 3 dimensions.....

One this is for sure.........That intersection of force is OBVIOUSLY earlier then later in the sequence.........

2cgoppd.gif

Clear as "Mud"?...........;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1