Role of the front leg in hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So, Mickey Mantle would not be successful today? Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Stan the Man, ... would all be unable to play?
Who really knows. May be not with these types of 'momentum'. Would these be the type of swings one would teach a softball DD? I would not.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So you would not teach a softball player to hit like Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth or Hank Aaron? Interesting. In watching the video of Hank Aaron, do you see "turning the barrell?" BTW, an action that not one MLB player other than one possible example has been taught to do. Rather, it happens imo. I see that action natural in Hank's posted swing.

I'd have to say that I'd consider it a great thing if there were elements of all of those swings in my dd's swing.

I'd have to say that I'd consider it a great thing if there were elements of all of those swings in my dd's swing
I said I wouldn't teach that whole 'swing'/swing style. I wouldn't teach that much momentum in my DD's swing. She would have adjustablity problems. I never said I wouldn't teach 'elements' of those swings. I'm positive they are the same 'elements' in all swings.

Sep 2, 2013
So, Mickey Mantle would not be successful today? Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Stan the Man, ... would all be unable to play?

Never said that. I don't know the answer to this but, what was the average fastball speed in the 60's compared to today. In the seventies what percent of MLB pitchers threw 90 or above?

Sep 2, 2013
You have to keep in mind that when those guys played, not only did they play against quality teams, they had fewer teams and so, the talent was much more concentrated. Also, the mound was higher. Remember Bob Gibson's great year? The pitching of that era was not crappola.

Here is what I am not understanding. Most who have been at this a long time remember the video work, etc. about spinning. Are some members here not seeing spinning from the one legged approach? Think of the "axis" of the swing and where it runs. Where is the adjustifiability (not a word) to such a swing? When one "controls the middle" in a HLS, there has to be a phase that would resemble a "sit" phase. While it might not be drastic in some, it is there. At least that is what I see. JMHO!

Grandpa, why have you not posted one of your students? We all have done so at one point or the other. How about letting us see your work. Requested with respect.

I'm 67 years old. Not much video happened in my day. Quit with hitting instruction about 9 years ago. Need hip replacement, forced me out. If I had current video why should I show it. Howe doesn't show current video of his students. I know you don't want video of me at my current age. That would be laughable.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
TDS,

What leg is moving Miggy forward in the above clip?

grandpa, I don't put the focus on the legs while moving out.. The focus is on the core/spine with a little bb/a$$.. This allows me to get forward yet back. Create the correct pre-swing actions so that the coil happens naturally while being sat.

If I put the focus on the rear leg it either stays there or it shifts to the other leg during the swing.. Not dynamically balanced. I want the body to stay stacked throughout the swing so both sides of the body are engaged dynamically.

Sep 2, 2013
grandpa, I don't put the focus on the legs while moving out.. The focus is on the core/spine with a little bb/a$$.. This allows me to get forward yet back. Create the correct pre-swing actions so that the coil happens naturally while being sat.

If I put the focus on the rear leg it either stays there or it shifts to the other leg during the swing.. Not dynamically balanced. I want the body to stay stacked throughout the swing so both sides of the body are engaged dynamically.

Do you gain ground during the swing, move forward, stride? I'm not totally following you but, if it works for you great. Keep sharing your thoughts. Maybe it's me not getting it. Always trying to learn better ways.

Sep 2, 2013
Who would know because the devices used to measure those pitches was not as accurate as now. I'd suspect more than you think. I've coached several HS baseball players who threw 88 plus. A few have made it to MLB. I would not suggest that they threw harder than Gibson or Koufax or ... Even Noland Ryan was measured using devices that would be suspect today. I don't intend to offend anyone but I sometimes wonder the level of talent some have seen and played against. I was a good hitter. Some thought I was great. Then, played with real hitters and they could just rake. I would be in awe of them. Even those were not in the league with Aaron, Mantle ...

I have no doubt that those guys would be outstanding today. I am amazed at some of the arguments that are taking place here and elsewhere. Now Puig can't hit. His swing is a push that some of you don't want. Harper will never have success. Dads on all of these various sites both baseball and softball claiming that their 10, 11, 12 ... year old has a better swing than those guys. Man!

The Mick and Hank appear to use their bodies different than todays bigger and stronger players. I'm sure if players today could use the same type of movements they would. I think speed of the game has changed mechanics from the 60's to today. I would love to see a Miggy versus Bob Gibson and Chapman versus Babe matchup. I wish everyone could enjoy the success that your daughter has had. It's a lot of hard work. You have been field tested. We may not agree on things but I always listen. You never know when some holy grail will show up.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Who would know because the devices used to measure those pitches was not as accurate as now. I'd suspect more than you think. I've coached several HS baseball players who threw 88 plus. A few have made it to MLB. I would not suggest that they threw harder than Gibson or Koufax or ... Even Noland Ryan was measured using devices that would be suspect today. I don't intend to offend anyone but I sometimes wonder the level of talent some have seen and played against. I was a good hitter. Some thought I was great. Then, played with real hitters and they could just rake. I would be in awe of them. Even those were not in the league with Aaron, Mantle ...

I have no doubt that those guys would be outstanding today. I am amazed at some of the arguments that are taking place here and elsewhere. Now Puig can't hit. His swing is a push that some of you don't want. Harper will never have success. Dads on all of these various sites both baseball and softball claiming that their 10, 11, 12 ... year old has a better swing than those guys. Man!
Exactly Coach, well said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1