Road to the LLWS 2023 edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Where is the rest of the top 1%. Seen a post on here that said there were 32,000 or so high school softball players and that don't include the ones that play travel and not High School. By those numbers the top 1% would be at least 320 players each year.

I’m just saying in relation to college ball - the whole D1 division does not represent the top 1% of teams. There are definitely D2, D3, JUCO, etc, teams that can beat lower level D1 teams.

Apr 1, 2017
I don't know enough to rank all the different levels, but if talking about all college softball teams, D1 teams make up a little over 17%

Interesting note: according to this link, Alaska and Wyoming have none

May 29, 2015
I’m just saying in relation to college ball - the whole D1 division does not represent the top 1% of teams. There are definitely D2, D3, JUCO, etc, teams that can beat lower level D1 teams.

Again ... and as most of us know already ... D1, D2, and D3 are only the rules they have to play by when spending money, not the quality.

Back to LL ... the Bago City, Philippines Junior team has a pitcher who was fire ... Erica Arnaiz. She pitched in the Championship on 8/5. Connecticut was crying themselves out of the box frequently.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021
Again ... and as most of us know already ... D1, D2, and D3 are only the rules they have to play by when spending money, not the quality.

Back to LL ... the Bago City, Philippines Junior team has a pitcher who was fire ... Erica Arnaiz. She pitched in the Championship on 8/5. Connecticut was crying themselves out of the box frequently.
Agree. She had as many strikeouts in the tournament as most girls get in a season. I don't think she was exceptionally fast, so her ball must have had more movement than what appeared on TV.

May 17, 2023
I’ll buy that the top P5 schools are the top 1%, definitely not the whole division.

From NCSA: "While only about 1.6% of high school softball players go on to play at the Division 1 level, the other division levels, NAIA schools, and junior colleges offer many opportunities for promising prospects"

I saw another that said 1.5% and Amanda Scarborough recently posted something on Facebook that reference 1.8%. But I do agree with your point that teams from other divisions could beat weakest D1 teams, so that isn't great representation.

But does show that even though there are a ton of opportunities to play college softball, D1 is still very elite and a remarkable accomplishment even if not going to Oklahoma.

May 27, 2013
From NCSA: "While only about 1.6% of high school softball players go on to play at the Division 1 level, the other division levels, NAIA schools, and junior colleges offer many opportunities for promising prospects"

I saw another that said 1.5% and Amanda Scarborough recently posted something on Facebook that reference 1.8%. But I do agree with your point that teams from other divisions could beat weakest D1 teams, so that isn't great representation.

But does show that even though there are a ton of opportunities to play college softball, D1 is still very elite and a remarkable accomplishment even if not going to Oklahoma.

That’s stating how many go on to play at the D1 level, not that it’s the most elite. I’d say it’s a remarkable accomplishment for any athlete to play at any collegiate level.

May 17, 2023
Nah. I just disagreed with your point. If you think a bunch of kids watching other kids and going "I could do that" is bad for the sport, that's fine. I disagree.

I don't know what you mean by another thread. I didn't say anything about another thread.

Fair enough. And I don't think showing the LLWS is bad for the sport. But I do think more coverage of the best youth players in the sport would be better.

I would be very interested to watch a tournament of the best players from each state battling it out, regardless of whether they play LL, PGF, Alliance, USSSA or any other division.

Feb 3, 2023

e12b8d1aba7d28ea80f818a8600d4fbc.jpg

I’ve always found the amount of scholarships available per division quite ironic. JUCO had 24 full rides available. NAIA 10, while NCAA D1 (which schools typically have much more athletic funding) only have 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi