Rita Lynn Gilman teaches method.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Show me where the arm straightens with these pitchers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5X86nD_WS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQz7CKn0SS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJRG8wl0hI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmiG4ji3onQ

I think it's important to understand that while the arm never completely straightens, it should not be forced to maintain a bend. Understanding and feeling whip means staying loose from the elbow down.

Rita never was one to seek video confirmation prior to doling out instruction.

She still doesn't quite get it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I watched the rest of the video after she demonstrated a palm up downswing and it goes downhill pretty quickly. So i am happy to see she is evolving and not standing still like so many others, but she is still missing some key components. It almost looks like she sees the video of elites but misinterprets it.

I am all for isolation drills but man she has a drill for every sub component of the motion. She still does not mention brush interference. I agree with FFS, she still does not quite get it.

Speaking of our buddy Phil...I saw him give a treatise on why the riseball is an ineffective pitch unless you throw 65-70+ Our trinity of gurus is still the best in the business.

Nov 29, 2009
It's happening people.....:cool:

I wonder if the pervasive HE instructors are starting to see their students are not doing squat when they get to the higher levels of the game and are taking at look at what the top pitchers are doing in the circle? Are they fielding questions from parents about it after spending tons of money with them and the their DD's are not getting the time in the circle?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I watched the rest of the video after she demonstrated a palm up downswing and it goes downhill pretty quickly. So i am happy to see she is evolving and not standing still like so many others, but she is still missing some key components. It almost looks like she sees the video of elites but misinterprets it.

Other than pulling the ball and allowing for a more natural follow through, I couldn't find anything more that seemed helpful. Not fond of the gadgets or emphasis on wrist/finger snap.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
It's happening very slowly! I still feel like a kid with a big secret when I watch kids doing HE drills. This forum is really making a difference! I feel so fortunate to be in on the secret! Thank you to .....well you all know who but I'll say it
The OGs
BM- board member the OG
Java- OG #2
RP- Rick Pauly
RB- Rich Baskwick
Hope I'm not forgetting anyone!
And thank you to Riseball for giving us lessons when you are available!
JJsqeeze your pretty badass also you've earned a spot in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 27, 2014
Other than pulling the ball and allowing for a more natural follow through, I couldn't find anything more that seemed helpful. Not fond of the gadgets or emphasis on wrist/finger snap.

Her earlier videos corroborated the little league pitching clinics we took then 8 year old DD to. 10 minutes of a Hillhouse video made the light go off in DD's head for whip and naturally snapping the ball due to mechanics leading up to it. This forum took it from there. I still see plenty of aspiring pitchers, that DD came up with last fall, still consciously trying to snap their wrist, still throwing in the 30's. I still get lectured periodically from well meaning folks that DD form is "all wrong" since she pulls the ball down and hand is under the ball to release...

Mar 12, 2009
I must say it does look like she's trying as has already been said. I can't imagine she hasn't seen this site but many coaches who think they know it all (not saying she does) never look for anything new.

I agree with FFS though... it looks like she eventually came across the "Forearm Fire" video and added some drills/gadgets to make it her own.

BM... you are right... it is happening and I just wonder how long it will be before everyone... even the pitching coaches at top D1 programs (Pauly excluded) are teaching the drills/training recommended here for IR and Drive Mechanics.

No one will ever believe me when I say I've known this stuff for a long time and I've never pitched a game in my life!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA