Riseball Strategy Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
I would make the argument that the Change Up was her "signature pitch".
One of the very best in the game last year.

I sensed a bit of sarcasm in Riseballs response, lol. No doubt her change is her bread and butter. The only slomotion I have found is a change, and bullet at different speeds, with exceptional control.

Feb 7, 2013
To the OP, you have received some good advice here however I will say that if your HS coach wants a riseball and she wants to get circle time, have her work on that pitch. It doesn't have to be perfect, especially against most HS batters even if it has bullet spin to it. If thrown to the correct location with decent speed you can use it to compliment your other pitches. Heck, the coach may not even know that her "riseball" is really a high fastball, as long as she throws it high in the strike zone with bullet spin and is somewhat effective with it. Pitching is not about perfection, its about effectiveness. Secondly, you are the one paying for pitching lessons, so if you feel the instructors are not teaching your DD the right pitches then certainly speak up.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The only way to get good hitters out is with a vertical movement pitch.

It is pretty easy to get the #7, #8 and #9 out. Getting the #3 and #4 batters is very difficult. A curve and a screwball will get #7, #8 and #9 out. They won't get #1, #3 or #4 out.

Why? A pitcher has make the good hitters change their swing planes. If not, the good hitters will sooner or later maul the pitcher.

Sluggers, we are going to a new PC, we've seen her 6 or 7 times now, I'm very impressed with her, she was a very successful D1 pitcher who stays in constant contact with Rick Pauly and she understands and teaches IR. Those first couple of sentences you wrote is 100% what she teaches and stresses to my DD! In fact what you wrote looks a lot like a text she would have sent me. She likes my DD's curve & screw but she likes to call them setup pitches, she says strikeout pitches are up and down, period!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sluggers, we are going to a new PC, we've seen her 6 or 7 times now, I'm very impressed with her, she was a very successful D1 pitcher who stays in constant contact with Rick Pauly and she understands and teaches IR. Those first couple of sentences you wrote is 100% what she teaches and stresses to my DD! In fact what you wrote looks a lot like a text she would have sent me. She likes my DD's curve & screw but she likes to call them setup pitches, she says strikeout pitches are up and down, period!

Anna Miller?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Those first couple of sentences you wrote is 100% what she teaches and stresses to my DD!

It is great you've got a good PC. Honestly, anyone who has pitched at the D1 or D2 level knows this. I was told this in 1990 by a male PC who pitched in the heyday of male fastpitch back in the 1960s.

The screw and curve are afterthoughts...*AFTER* your DD develops a killer drop or a killer rise.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad