Rise Ball- Thought we had it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Been working on this pitch for a long time now. Not here to debate whether it rises or simply doesn't drop. The other day, DD and I were working out. We started playing with her grip on the rise. Suddenly and almost out of nowhere, she throws three or four pitches in a row that are clearly different. Not just high, but almost hit me square in the face due to the movement of the ball. We thought we had it. Finally had the right spin, grip and speed to generate the desired effect. Started to get dark, so we decided to get back to it the next day. Yesterday, right back to where she was before our breakthrough. Basically just a high pitch that spins backwards. Now she is more determined than ever to get it to move. Back to practice.

Dec 26, 2012
W. Kansas
My 15yr old DD just started to learn the rise and as she was working the drills most went about 10ft over my head,lol, but she threw a couple that nearly hit me in the mouth mostly I was not familiar with the pitch and had no idea what was going to happen, I figured it was just a high fast ball and it nearly knocked my teeth out lol.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Joe,
go to the sticky thread 'Model Grips' above. Play with the Bent Fingered Riseball; and practice that one.

It is not a 'comfortable' grip and they never care for it a first, until they see what it does in an actual game.. Then they love it.

You are describing a cut riseball (AKA 'High school rise', 'airplane rise') pretty much a fastball that starts out low, ends up high.

Several riseballs out there, many grips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG