Right way a cancelled championship game should be desided

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Every sanctioned body we have played in has a way to determine champions in weather shortened tournaments.

Here is the one from USSSA Florida:

-------------------------------------------

Unless otherwise posted, the following tiebreaker system will be used to determine an order of finish in the event a tournament cannot be completed.
1. All teams still in the Winners’ Bracket are ordered first, using the following:

a) Highest remaining seed in Winners' Bracket
b) If two (or more) identical seeds remain (e.g., #2 Pool A and #2 Pool B),
i) Head to Head in seeding games
ii) Fewest Runs Allowed in seeding games
iii) Most Runs Scored in seeding games
c) Coin toss

2. Next, teams in the same spot in the Losers’ Bracket are ordered by the following:
a) Head-to-head (this is used first when only two teams are in the same spot)
b) The team which advanced farthest in the Winners’ Bracket before losing
c) Fewest Runs Allowed in Seeding Games
d) Most Runs Scored in Seeding Games
e) Coin toss

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Last weekend, we finished as co-champions due to the weather. We came back from being down 7-0 after two innings and tied it 9-9 by the fifth when it finally became too unplayable. Our girls were on a roll and had all the momentum, but the other team was the #1 seed, having given up 1 fewer run in pool play. Both teams battled hard to get to that point, and their coach said "co-champs" even though he had every right to enforce the run differential/seeding tie-breaker.

Both his and our girls learned about good sportsmanship, and I think by looking at this picture we didn't mind sharing the title.

IMG_3901.jpg

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I find the talk about 'life lessons' to be more interesting than the tiebreaker. Not sure I'd intervene in order to teach life lessons. If they're 10, they're old enough to be well-versed in life's unfairness. Kids are constantly giving testimony on how life isn't fair. Probably a daily occurrence in their minds. And what's wrong with a 10-year-old being upset that they didn't win? To say that it's no big deal is a contradiction, isn't it? One of the toughest things to coach in a 10U team is competitiveness and the desire to win. Then we you get a group that is so competitive that they're pissed at losing a ball roll, we try to snuff the competitiveness out and tell them it's not that important. If it's important to them, and they're not being unsportsmanlike about it, then let them be pissed and don't micro-manage their emotions, IMO.

Sep 29, 2014
Would have just said co-champs or let the TD decide, I'm not about to do a coin flip or ball roll. In the end though it is 10U which is why co champ and walk away would have been best. Now maybe flipping for trophies versus shirts would have been fun; winner of the flip gets to pick I like that idea. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1