Right View Pro

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Photo 2 of 31, Analysis

If you looked at this guy from across the plate before his shoulders rotated I bet he'd look like his arms were low too. Not to compare Ortiz to the bat drag clip but just to make a point about 2d vs 3d.

May 12, 2008
Yeah well, let's just say I see something different than you see. That or you are yanking my chain.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Magic

I would like to see video of the hands doing just what your saying. Give me some proof. Some verification. Some form of measurement that the hands drive the bat and create batspeed.

Something. I have asked for this before and have never gotten a response from by any of the hands create batspeed guys. That third dimension. The twilight zone?

Never have seen proof. Never will.

Elliott.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
exec-

golf was the first sport to popularize the magic move approach to teaching the swing which after a point became just matrketing whatever a particular teacher wanted to to set them apart, so it can mean anything to anyone.

the most common "magic move" is the transition move in the classic 2 plane golf swing. Typically this swing is thought os as a 1-2-3 with 1 being the backswing and 2 the transition and 3 the downswing.

the #2 transition move is the shift of the hips/repositioning the spine and associated with a rocking/tiling of the shoulders with the upper and lower body moving in different planes so the torso is coiled/loaded between them.

here is a nice old description from a reference (1950/s) based around learning 4 magic moves. This move is the usual one though of as the magic move

Starting Down | www.newgolfswing.com

the MLB hitting pattern is similar to this, but further along the 2 plane spectrum with shoulders actively tilting slaved to hand/arm action.

Jul 11, 2008
Thx........

I now remember "The Magic Move" as a term refering to the very first move of the downswing is to "return your rear elbow to your side"..........IE, "The Magic Move"........

exec-

golf was the first sport to popularize the magic move approach to teaching the swing which after a point became just matrketing whatever a particular teacher wanted to to set them apart, so it can mean anything to anyone.

the most common "magic move" is the transition move in the classic 2 plane golf swing. Typically this swing is thought os as a 1-2-3 with 1 being the backswing and 2 the transition and 3 the downswing.

the #2 transition move is the shift of the hips/repositioning the spine and associated with a rocking/tiling of the shoulders with the upper and lower body moving in different planes so the torso is coiled/loaded between them.

here is a nice old description from a reference (1950/s) based around learning 4 magic moves. This move is the usual one though of as the magic move

Starting Down | www.newgolfswing.com

the MLB hitting pattern is similar to this, but further along the 2 plane spectrum with shoulders actively tilting slaved to hand/arm action.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
you remember well. the thing that returns the elbow to the side (slot) is the turn of the hips and tilt/front shouler staying up which winds the torso, arms stay up, only THEN are you ready for the downswing of the arms to create a little more stretch then fire as you pull down and approach the ball from the inside.

May 12, 2008
You develop a four frame swing so you can watch ball flight as long as possible before launching the bathead into the swing plane. You watch thousands and thousands of pitches to aid your ability to predict pitch location. Then when you get it right, you hit the #$%^ out of it. When you get fooled, you salvage what you can and hit it as well as possible or foul it off. Those are the swings guided late by the arms, wrists etc.

Can I ask your background in terms of learning about hitting?

May 12, 2008
I've played....I've coached....I've hung with pros.

Your turn. What is your background?

None of the people I'm around or have been around believe what you suggest.

You need to watch video. The use of the hands is clear. The movement in the z axis is clear.

There is no rotational knob pull in any of the good mlb hitters.

No I don't mean your resume. I mean who have you studied. I'm trying to understand where you are coming from and your terminology. I do watch video. My mantra is compare everything anyone says about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world. If it's a big resume you want or you want to discuss hitting with someone who did it at a fairly high level I suggest Steve Englishbey. There are several types of "knowing". There is knowing how to do it. There is knowing what you did in terms of reality rather than just what it felt like. There is knowing why what just happened happend and then there is knowing how to teach it. I don't find all those in one person very often. I suggest Steve Englishbey would be one who does. I'm perfectly willing to stipulate your resume is better than mine. But I read others whose resume is no doubt better than yours and they say something very different about the swing than you. So...back to my mantra. Compare everything anyone says about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world. Suffice to say, I see something different than you see in the swings of elite hitters. I started off skeptical of everyone. Probably moreso than you. About ten years of study has led me to where I am now.