Right View Pro

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
I talked to Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, Stanford, and Washington and none of them agree with Englishbey's philosophies. I am waiting to hear back from the rest of the Pac 10. I'll keep you posted.

So tell me this....for those parents that don't live near any good hitting instructors, like me, which of these coaches that you are so friendly with will let me send them clips of my 13 year old hitting and try to help me figure out what to work on with her? Or which ones have a website where they post clips of different drills that we can work on for different problems, where they post tips and try to help give advice to anyone who asks? Or, for that matter, which ones could I call if I want to, just to talk about hitting a softball, and they would actually take my call and talk to me?

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Howard Dobson from Southern Miss., Rob Wagner or Michelle Thiry from ASU, or Angel Santiago from UNLV. Those 4 will probably respond to you the quickest.

Jun 26, 2008
Hands Dropping?!

Yes it's moving pretty fast.

Here's a kid with a pretty good rock skipping motion IMO. Photo 23 of 31, Analysis

Do I play? I'm 52 and 20 pounds over weight. You want to discuss hitting with someone who played you can talk to Englishbey who was drafted eighth overall back in the day and still can show a four frame or better swing.

Hi Mark,

This clip you referenced is the type of behavior I am concerned with correcting. It appears to me that the clip shows a drop as opposed to a direct path, no?

Thanks,
Mitchell

May 12, 2008
Understanding this kid is tilted over I don't view his problem as swing plane issues. I view his problem as bat drag defined as the elbow leading the hands with the top hand forearm laid over away from the body creating both an extra link in the kinetic chain and a longer radius. All of which means he can create some great whip and hit the pwhey out of the ball...till they start throwing hard and changing speeds. Problem is, it's going to take him about two extra frames to get from decision to contact. Meaning a female hitter with this problem facing a 60mph pitcher will have to make her decision approximately 6 feet sooner in terms of ball flight. Imagine the advantage THAT gives a pitcher.

Jun 26, 2008
What I am seeing

when I look at the video is the batter drops his hands from above his shoulders to below his chest. This is the concern I have with my players' swing in that the path seems longer and slower due to the hands dropping then rotating toward the incoming ball.

Thanks for sharing and clarifying.
Mitchell

Jun 26, 2008
Please offer other good swings

that follow the path that I think I am seeing in the young batter. I think I understand what you are saying and I will try to discern if what I am concerned about is legit or is tilt. Candidly, when I look at the young batter in that video it seems that some of the lowering of the hands is disconnected from his spinal tilt/angle.

Enjoying the discussion and help.
Mitchell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi