Right handed pitcher hitting from the left side?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
How many right hand pitchers out there are batting from the left side? Any fears of getting hit on right arm whether its deliberate or accidental and still doing it?? If she is good at both when would you decide if she should stop pitching to be a position player that hits from left side, or pitch and go back to right side??? Thanks
TM

Feb 27, 2011
SC
How many right hand pitchers out there are batting from the left side? Any fears of getting hit on right arm whether its deliberate or accidental and still doing it?? If she is good at both when would you decide if she should stop pitching to be a position player that hits from left side, or pitch and go back to right side??? Thanks
TM
My DD pitched R. And coaches attempted to have her slap from left for
2 yrs . Non issue as far as being hit on R arm. Eventually she went back to R hitting, didn't like slapping Answer to 2 nd question is
Time will tell, if she develops into a very good pitcher that's what she will
become (if she wants it bad enough to put in the countless hours), in my opinion it depends
On development as a pitcher.

M

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
My DD LHP bats from the right, no fear of hitting her "pitching" arm. I also had a RHP one year who hits from the left, no issues. You can't have that "fear" of being hit, because it's going to happen sometime.

You also need to learn how to take a HBP. If you can't move out of the way, turn and let your back take the impact, it's the largest group of muscle in the body. ( butt muscle is the single biggest ) Lower body ( leg ) you want to have it hit on the back of the thigh or calve. Also a large muscle group. Avoid any hits to bones with no "meat" covering them.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
My DD is also LHP who naturally bats from right-side, according to MLB percentages these L-throwing; R-hitting players are most uncommon!

We have had RHP/lefty batter wear an arm guard when batting as she was hit once. Seems to me this would be best option if your RHP DD likes batting left, is good at it, and likes pitching- rather than give up on something she is trying to improve at. This seems like a risk that can be managed, like face masks.

Last edited:
May 11, 2012
You also need to learn how to take a HBP. If you can't move out of the way, turn and let your back take the impact, it's the largest group of muscle in the body. ( butt muscle is the single biggest ) Lower body ( leg ) you want to have it hit on the back of the thigh or calve. Also a large muscle group. Avoid any hits to bones with no "meat" covering them.

Prior to the season this past year, my dd ( 8 to start the year, playing 10U) and I went over this among another millions other things. She has a great eye and to be honest, she makes everyone nervous because the kid is NOT afraid to get hit and she stick in and doesnt flinch many times and the ball is fractions of an inch from hitting her. lol. Crazy kid! Anyways, she knew she was going to get hit one time and she made an attempt to turn her back and tried to have that be the thing which got hit. Well somehow she landed up lifting her arm( SMH) and getting hit square in the ribs. And she got hit HARD! My DW was sitting along the fence in right field and said she could hear the thud clearyl from out there. She wasnt even watching at the time. She heard the thud, turned around and our dd was the victim. It was the only time I have seen my dd cry during a game.

After she shook it off, and the game was over we all had a good laugh about it but boy was DW mad at me, when my dd said that " dad said to do that when your going to get hit". Talk about a misinterpretation backfiring. lol. My dd had a huge bruise on her ribs for about a week and it was black and blue. DD's teacher is a friend of mine and she called to tell me that dd was proud of her bruise and was showing it off during PE to all the other girls when they were changing. haha. Gotta love softball players.

Apr 25, 2010
My DD is a RHP and bats left. She sees the ball better and has a stronger swing on the left. She wears a guard that covers her elbow, and she knows how to properly turn away from a hit. She started wearing the arm guard after a scrimmage in April when she heard the other coach telling his pitcher to "snap one at her". She said she knew the hit was coming, so she managed to turn enough to just get hit in the upper arm. Had she not turned, she would have taken it directly on the elbow. All because they were having a tough time hitting her hard when she was pitching. Pitiful.

Aug 8, 2012
My daughter is a right handed pitcher and she bats left handed. She has a pad to wear on right arm while batting,but never wears it. So far so good. She is a fast runner and has had success as a slapper. She is right handed in every aspect of her life EXCEPT batting.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Megan Langenfeld always wore an elbow protector whenever she hit. I think it's a good idea. Xprotect also makes a padded batting glove that I've encouraged some of our girls to wear. We had one girl hit on the right hand slapping and broke her 5th metacarpal.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD is a RHP and bats left. She sees the ball better and has a stronger swing on the left. She wears a guard that covers her elbow, and she knows how to properly turn away from a hit. She started wearing the arm guard after a scrimmage in April when she heard the other coach telling his pitcher to "snap one at her". She said she knew the hit was coming, so she managed to turn enough to just get hit in the upper arm. Had she not turned, she would have taken it directly on the elbow. All because they were having a tough time hitting her hard when she was pitching. Pitiful.

a coach told his pitcher to throw at a batter, in a scrimmage.

where and what team, if you have the coaches name tell us that too, these idiots need to be held accountable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah