RF Back up 2B or 1B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2010
Standard bunt coverages:
1) Nobody on base or lead runner on 1st - Corners charge, SS to 2b, 2b to first, LF to 3rd once bunt is down - CF/RF back up throws;
2) Lead runner on 2b or 3b - corners charge, SS to 3rd, 2b to 1st, CF covers 2b once bunt is down - LF/RF back up throws;

We also have some specialty coverages to defend against known push bunting or slappers with known tendencies. Try it see if it works - give me yours, I'll work it into practice and if it works better with my personnel, I'll use it and probably take credit for it.

Jul 9, 2010
We do what you do, with the exception that the pitcher covers 3, rather than the LF. That is, if she remembers of course......

Jan 15, 2009
RF would back up 1B. RF has to make the decision at the moment of contact. As stated many things can happen that end in the ball being thrown to 1B rather than 2B due to timing on the play (i.e. hit and run, fast base runner, or just a good lead).

Also agree that catcher backing up infield throws to first is great for teams that play one game a day ( college, High School etc..) travel teams playing 4-5 games in a day may tend to give the catcher a breather on this especially if they have a short bench.

Jul 28, 2008
Standard bunt coverages:
1) Nobody on base or lead runner on 1st - Corners charge, SS to 2b, 2b to first, LF to 3rd once bunt is down - CF/RF back up throws;

2) Lead runner on 2b or 3b - corners charge, SS to 3rd, 2b to 1st, CF covers 2b once bunt is down - LF/RF back up throws;

We do similar, but my 2nd baseman slowly creep until the bunt is down. If it's not pushed to them, they sprint to cover 1st. Also, pitcher charges the ball. If it's not hit to her, she takes off towards 3rd to cover.

2nd base also creeps in until ball is down for your situation #2. We do the rest the same.

Aug 16, 2010
We do similar, but my 2nd baseman slowly creep . . . .
2nd base also creeps in until ball is down for your situation #2. We do the rest the same.

Good idea think I'll try that next practice - we have some specialty coverages, 1b stays back 2b moves in, or SS charges and 3b stays home, etc. to deal with those teams that have good "push/slap" hitters that exploit standard coverages. However, the creep seems like it might work as long as 2b has to time to get to bag once bunt down. Pitcher charges for us also - just assumed everyone did that.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
The pitcher is the last person I want to field the ball in a bunt situation. However if it's bunted back to her, she needs to be able to field it. We just have her sprint to 3rd if it's not hit to her when there's no runners or a runner on 1st.

A note on the 2nd baseman creeping forward. It's very slow when they show bunt. In case they fake bunt or push bunt I don't want to open up the 3-4 hole by taking off early to cover 1st base.

Aug 16, 2010
I'm about odds and angles - I currently enjoy some very athletic RH pitchers and prefer RH pitcher to handle ball over most 1b on play to 1b off the line. If not pitcher then catcher on short bunt to 1b side - I currently have 2 left-handed 1b (deadly when slower runner or bad jump from 2b to 3rd - will get lead runner 2 out of 3 times). Gonna try the "creep." I still like to mix the coverages up on occasion - especially on team that uses fake bunt to set up steal or hit and run and tries to poke it through gap left by 2b or SS.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes