Returning Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I coach 12u travel and wonder if anyone else goes through this. Every year, all kids have to re-try out even if on the team the prior year. I have a kid who played first and outfield last year who specifically said she wanted to try out for short on this year's team. Last year we were 10u and our starting SS still had a year of 10u eligibility left and stayed down.

We tried her at short briefly last year but she didn't even compare to our shortstop. I tell the kids that every game and every practice they are earning their positions. I also told this girl the reason she didn't play short last year was because when I worked with shortstop drills (relays, cutoffs, covering the bag, etc) she wasn't paying attention and when I tried her out there she was clueless.

She is a great kid and competing teams would love to pick her up. Good bat, runs like a deer, decent glove, erratic throwing arm however. Bottom line, she ain't no shortstop.

Regardless, we're starting our fall season with a team of half returners and half new players and we worked on infield / outfield situations and I moved all the players around and we explained their roles and responsibilities in those situations. Once again I told all the girls to pay attention to what we are telling the players at every position so when it is their turn, they know what to do.

I put this girl in at short after we had been doing this for about a half hour. First ball I hit was to RF and the play was at 2nd. She never moved to cover the base! Next ball hit to left field with the play at 2nd she never moved to help with a cut off.

At this point I have the shortstop position narrowed down to two, maybe three players. Here is my question for other coaches: Given the highly competitive "market" for travel players (other coaches are not shy about trying to recruit our players - whole other subject don't get me started on) how much time and effort do you put into humoring a player and going through the motions of teaching her a position you know she isn't cut out for?

By the way, if we are in a friendly or winning by a large margin I do move the players around.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She needs to learn to throw. That would be my first goal. Break it down for her and start with wrist snaps, from the knees and progress from there.

She isn't a player I would be trying to steal from you at 12U, because I look at a players arm, first.

Also, she may need a different type of instruction than most girls, if she isn't picking it up readily.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Its your job to teach her to play that position. IMO, all girls should do SS-2B drills, etc, even if they will never play IF in game. Its too fundamental to the game. Dont write her off because she doesnt know how to play it yet. She very well may surprise you once she has learned it. You always want to practice and play at least 2 players at each position too. 1) you want a backup 2) you want them to compete against each other for playing time, not get too content.

Aug 16, 2010
I coach . . . she was clueless. . . . erratic throwing arm

No offense intended - but who is "clueless." As MB said - isn't a major part of our job as coaches to "teach" them to throw, run bases, hit, catch, . . . ? You described her as good athlete - coach her. If she leaves - so be it.

Amy - I like a good arm but speed kills. I love speed and will take a chance on a kid in a minute if she has it.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
She has been taught and knows how to throw. However in the pressure of a game it's a different story. It isn't like she doesn't have proper mechanics. She has a very strong arm.

That aside it seems preliminary feedback is that (if I'm reading you right) I should spend more time individually working with her on shortstop skills even though I have three other players who are more skilled.

Oct 19, 2009
Don't be so quick to judge. I know it's hard to get a read for someone based on a few posts on line but I spend way more time teaching and coaching my kids than most other travel coaches. These lessons had been taught and re-taught, but she wasn't paying attention.

The other big problem with this one (and maybe I should have put this in the OP) is that she has a big tendency to field everything off to her side instead of getting in front of it. This has caused us problems when she was in the OF or 1B but would be magnified if she got PT at short. I got two other kids who will block everything and sacrifice their body to stop a ball.

When we're trying to field our best team to win games, those are the kids I need at short.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2010
I would ask her why she wants to play SS, and then follow that up with how often does she practice fielding grounders at SS. I'll bet that the first answer is "dad says that's where I should be playing" and the second is "none". I wouldn't give up on her, but you need to find her reason for wanting to play the position. If it's not her choice, you'll be wasting your time teaching her. If, on the other hand, she pays attention when you are explaining 1B (or whatever position) and then goes and does what you told them to do at that position, then you have found the place where SHE wants to play.

In my experience, I have found that there are 3 types of players: athletes that can play any position without much instruction, players who want to play no matter what position, and girls who will ONLY play a certain position (most likely driven by parent). Great teams consist of players from the first two groups; the last group change teams every year, and then eventually quit playing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In my experience, I have found that there are 3 types of players: athletes that can play any position without much instruction, players who want to play no matter what position, and girls who will ONLY play a certain position (most likely driven by parent). Great teams consist of players from the first two groups; the last group change teams every year, and then eventually quit playing.

That is just a silly statement.

athletes that can play any position without much instruction

Candrea at Arizona spends hours and hours rolling ground balls to players to teach them the proper way to field a ground ball, and I suspect Candrea is getting some of the best athletes in the country. Is he just out there wasting time?

There was the 18U championship game that was on where the coach put his #1 catcher at 3B with the idea that "good players can play any position." Of course, she didn't know how to properly field a bunt, and it cost the team a run.

players who want to play no matter what position

Unfortunately, desire does not equal either ability or level of instruction. Every team has lots of kids sitting on the bench who desperately want to play.

Girls who will ONLY play a certain position (most likely driven by parent)

Are you throwing catchers and pitchers into this group? Because, good pitchers and good catchers really can't play any other position on the field. And, without parents, there will be no catchers or pitchers.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Because, good pitchers and good catchers really can't play any other position on the field.

I disagree with this. Good PLAYERS can play anywhere they're put. They might not be as good as their 'top' position, but they can fill in for a pinch.

May 25, 2010
Amy - I like a good arm but speed kills. I love speed and will take a chance on a kid in a minute if she has it.

I'd generally go with speed, too, but she's gotta be able to throw straight if she's on my infield. Sure, we're all going to make an erratic throw from time-to-time, but a coach doesn't want to have to hold his/her breath every time the shortstop fields a ball.

If her head isn't into the position, all the heart in the world ("Oh, how I want to play shortstop!") won't really matter. Yes, she's young, but by 11-12, I'd expect an experienced player to know that SS needs to cover 2nd on that hit to right regardless of her primary position. However, if she's only moving her feet on balls coming her way, then I'm afraid she's really more wish than heart when it comes to playing the infield.

I hope she breaks out of the habit of tuning you out, though, as it's clear you're working to give your team the best chance to be successful.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes