Returning Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
She is also the most social of the kids and tends to be class clown, so I often catch her in a little conversation with someone while we're talking. Definitely not trying to talk the kid down as she is a solid contributor to the team. She just aint a shortstop. Wookie does raise a good point though because I think her mom wants to see her play there as I've heard her say it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Good PLAYERS can play anywhere they're put.

I'm not sure what they means. You would play Stacy Nuveman in centerfield? Cat Osterman as catcher? Crystal Bustos at SS?

Every position has a unique set of skills. Those skills are learned through hard work and training. Players are interchangeable.

Aug 16, 2010
I'm not sure what they means. You would play . . . Crystal Bustos at SS?

Every position has a unique set of skills. Those skills are learned through hard work and training. Players are interchangeable.

Uhhh, yeah!
In Sydney, Bustos replaced Team USA legend Dot Richardson at shortstop. Ralph Raymond, then the U.S. coach, felt moving Richardson to second and putting Bustos at shortstop strengthened the infield defense. "The first time I saw [Crystl] play I saw her make two plays Dottie wouldn't be able to make anymore,"

Mar 13, 2010
I'm not sure what they means. You would play Stacy Nuveman in centerfield? Cat Osterman as catcher? Crystal Bustos at SS?

Pitcher and catcher are different. Those two have very specific skill sets that can't be easily duplicated.

Other positions though? Yes I would expect them to be able to play there if needed. And I'm sure all the players you mentioned could go anywhere on the diamond and play when needed. Would you put them there every time, or in fact when it's not an emergancy? No, that would be foolish. But every player should be able to step into any position and play it well.

For example, I'm a pitcher and a corner. Those three positions are my best positions. Two years ago I had a pretty bad shoulder injury. My coach, when I wasn't well enough to pitch, would put me at right field (which yeah, he's not very bright) I'm a big girl and I'm very, very slow. But you can bet that every throw that went to first I was behind them backing up. Why? Because that's what right fielders do. As someone who played the game for 24 years, I knew that and therefore automaticlly did it. I've been put at the pivots and can play those positions too. I'm not as good as the women who play them week in, week out, but I get the job done.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
I'm sure most coaches have a player that was dying to play a position that doesn't fit their abilities. They might have quick feet and a great arm, but are lacking in other key areas. Their hands turn to stone at crucial times or they make one error and can't put it behind them.The next three groundballs find her and the game gets away from you. This girl believes she's a shortstop. Good luck convincing her otherwise.

Aug 16, 2010
The problems described regarding this girl (I'm not sure how old she is) seems to be a mental disconnect rather than a physical inability to perform. If she is the athlete you describe - I'm not willing to accept that she can't throw. I could care less if she ever plays shortstop - I would take it as a personal coaching challenge to fix this kid's arm. We would start on our knees, do cock-it drills, throw to a dot, and progress through every drill known to mankind. That's what we do.

Now for the anecdotal story - last Spring I had a kid who played only RF and occasionally 1b at the TB competitive level who wanted to play some infield. In fact, she had never played on the left side of the infield or outfield. She was 13, 5'9", very fast - with good arm. As you might imagine at 5'9" with 2yrs of outfield experience she bent at waist and refused to spread her base. She also absolutely refused to backhand a ball. After 2 weeks of nothing but bucket and crossover drills - beginning with me rolling ball to her and progressing to full speed fungo - she could play SS for any team I know of (she still primarily plays RF for me - SS for school team) and is a much more confident player overall for overcoming the SS challenge.

Accept the challenge and have fun - let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Don't be so quick to judge. I know it's hard to get a read for someone based on a few posts on line but I spend way more time teaching and coaching my kids than most other travel coaches. These lessons had been taught and re-taught, but she wasn't paying attention.

The other big problem with this one (and maybe I should have put this in the OP) is that she has a big tendency to field everything off to her side instead of getting in front of it. This has caused us problems when she was in the OF or 1B but would be magnified if she got PT at short. I got two other kids who will block everything and sacrifice their body to stop a ball.

When we're trying to field our best team to win games, those are the kids I need at short.

Sluggers has gone over this before, but if your coaching and making a point of emphasis to a kid (i.e. field it between your feet) and feel your not getting through, try benching them in a game when they make the offense. I had that specific discussion with a very good middle infielder (field between your feet) when I benched her during a state tournament after she slowed up and fielded a ball outside her feet resulting in a bad handle and an error (I think trying to make that ESPN backhand highlight film) and I told her that if she did get a chance to field that position again (this was already a repeat offense on a single point of emphasis) that she better move her feet or she'd be coming back out immediately again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad