Responsibility of a coach when you see bad/different mechanics?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Results matter. If the player is producing poor results for an extended time then perhaps the private instruction isn't working or the player doesn't understand it. If I see a pretty "standard" mechanical flaw that I can't imagine is being taught on purpose then I'll ask the player about it and give some small cues. If it seems to be a flaw in their approach or what they are being taught to do then I'll speak to the parents and see if it's something they want me to work on or leave it in the instructor's hands. I'm not going to fight what they are being taught, but the parents have to understand that poor results lead to less playing time.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Measuring throwing stats
can be established by example~

Setting up a bownet and put a central Target on it. Do repetitions and create statistics by hitting the target.
3 points hitting target
2 points around target
1 point furthest parameter
Also notating if the entire net is missed

And
Time throwing speed.

Additionally you can time fielders from when they received the ball to when the ball reaches the target. (That is like timing a catcher's pop time.)
It includes transition with throwing mechanics and throwing speed. Utilize that with the Target and now you have example of fielding efficiency with accuracy.

*basic reminder
even a great arm (throwing speed) may take them a long time to get rid of the ball and have poor efficiency in the overall play.

I use this Target that is about 12" by 14" we focus on either hitting the target or immediately around the target.
Like to use a solid type object like a floor mat or a firm piece of foam because it makes a noise when the ball hits it and you can hear the impression of mastering the target.
20170223_145832.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021
Yes, easy from an hitting perspective. From a defensive perspective it is not. We can't (won't) put a girl at ss that can't throw accurately. In that situation there is no way of generating the data points.
I agree, you don't play a player in a position they are not qualified for and throwing accuracy is a prerequisite for SS. I am making some assumptions here so I apologize in advance if I have it wrong for your team. the reason I said "If you have game historical game data that would be a great start, performance evaluation data (pop times, speed, etc.) also good to show delta over time" was if you had game data on errors from a position you let her play, if not then the evaluation data is very important. Assuming you do periodic evals, throwing speed and accuracy should be one of the many metrics that are tracked for performance purposes. (assumption: this is a travel team, I don't do this with Rec teams). If there is no good data then my argument is mute so I would just discuss what you see with the parents and step back and watch her fail, or create a quick eval to begin gathering pertinent data on all players around speed, transition power and accuracy to prove how she stacks up against peers and trend over time.
Just my thoughts, I hope you can facilitate change so she progresses. Nothing is as rewarding as seeing a young girl fall in love with her game and excel.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Measuring skill sets is a great way to set goals! Additionally can help the viewers (parents) and coaches have a more accurate perspective of individual ability.

Helps to make informed decisions and
takes off/ remove the favoritism goggles! 😁

Jun 8, 2016
14U and above I can see not putting a kid at SS who has throwing accuracy issues. Below that if the kid is a great athlete I would bite the bullet for future gains (while obviously also working with them..) Your slow-footed player who has an accurate arm won't be very useful there in 3 or 4 years..

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If at practice a player says," my coach doesn't want me to take front toss", I would kindly tell her parents that on this team all players are required to take front toss. Provided it is not rapid fire front or side toss because that is a stupid drill.
Video of her throwing would be great. If you haven't developed good basic throwing mechanics by 14u then someone is wasting time and money.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Same girl, showing me what her hitting coach (same coach as throwing) is teaching her. It can't possibly be what the coach wants. I know it in my bones. But I just said, I can't help you. I'll give you as much time as you want. but I don't want to give you the opposite advise your Private instructor is giving you.

I've wanted to tell the parents to find a new instructor, but How do you tell them someone that their choice is wrong.

You should ask for the HC's number. Reach out and if you approach it from the perspective of not wanting to give conflicting advice to the player, you can probably find out what the coach is actually teaching/trying to teach.

If the player is wrong about what the coach wants from hitting like you suspect, she might also be wrong about the throwing.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If at practice a player says," my coach doesn't want me to take front toss", I would kindly tell her parents that on this team all players are required to take front toss. Provided it is not rapid fire front or side toss because that is a stupid drill.
Video of her throwing would be great. If you haven't developed good basic throwing mechanics by 14u then someone is wasting time and money.
Rapid fire & IN THE DARK 🤭😁

Jan 24, 2020
Rapid fire & IN THE DARK 🤭😁
In HS my baseball team would sometimes set up a pitching machine and some crappy lights (car headlights :rolleyes:) and take BP at night. None of us could hit a lick in these sessions, but the next day the pitches seemed slower and the ball seemed bigger. I still don't recommend.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
In HS my baseball team would sometimes set up a pitching machine and some crappy lights (car headlights :rolleyes:) and take BP at night. None of us could hit a lick in these sessions, but the next day the pitches seemed slower and the ball seemed bigger. I still don't recommend.
Like the effort!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi