response to emails

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2010
If a head coach receives a girls info packet, and then emails her and invites her to come to their upcoming camp, and includes her phone # for any questions. What should the girl do if the camp is several months away. (obviously respond and thank her and say Ill be there)

Im talking about a personal email from the head coach, not an assistant, or a mass email to the whole recruiting list, etc.

Should she make up a reason to call or just wait for the camp?

Coaches need to sell their camps. What better way than to personally invite people that may be interested. Camps help fund their programs.

However, if it is a long ways away, and requires overnight stays, it can be $500+ of dollars. I imagine talking to the coach would give them an idea of the level of interest.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I highly recommend she call the head coach and talk to him/her personally. That would accomplish a couple of things; 1) show the coach her level of interest and 2) give the kid an ideo of the level of interest from the program.

She doesn't need to "make up a reason to call", if she's interested in the school, that is reason enough.

Good luck!

Sep 3, 2009
As soon as your DD starts initiating contact emailing coaches, she'll get put on their mailing lists. They'll send out email updates on all their camps.

Sep 17, 2009
I know that recruiting is a "process" and can seem impersonal, but it doesn't have to be. Respectfully initiating an ongoing conversation with a coach is completely appropriate and goes a long way. Trust me, if the coach doesn't want to "talk" to you, they won't : >

But if a coach throws out an opening -- of any kind -- take it!

My older DD ended up choosing not to play in college, so maybe it never felt life or death, but we had a lot of fun with the recruiting process, took a few visits, had exposure tournament contact, etc...it was enjoyable (it was D3 mainly, so again, less intense than D1 as well)....Best of luck.

Jul 9, 2010
Make a call. This is very hard to do for players, because they don't know what to say. However, coaches know they are dealing with younger kids, and (most) act accordingly.

BTW - most personal emails from head coaches are actually from assistants. Still make the call though.

If she doesn't know what to say, she can start with "Hi, this so-and-so, and I got your packet, and I'm talking to my folks about coming to the camp. I hope you got my info I sent to you - I really like Your U. I plan to major in basket-weaving, and you have one of the better basket-weaving programs around."

It'll go from there.

Mar 9, 2012
Yea diffidently give the coach a call. I remember when my daughter made her first call. Its not the easiest thing for 17 year old girls who text all day. Just make her feel as little nerves as possible and tell her to be confident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12