Rendon and coiling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Is Rendon coiling the entire time until the back leg turns? Or does he coil, hold, shift forward. I think I see him coiling the entire time just wanted some more eyes on this swing. BTW this was line drive off the left field fence.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Great question. I see what you see.
AND THEN......Here's something very interesting about his swing.

- Anthony Rendon’s foot down early load

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Great question. I see what you see.
AND THEN......Here's something very interesting about his swing.

- Anthony Rendon’s foot down early load

I’m starting to like the pitcher as the view to look at. I see why Mankin liked the view above all others. You can see the constant coil in the pitchers view.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
So, is FBC (forward by coil) correct. I know in the past some hitters seemed to FBC and some didn’t. Unless, I wasn’t looking at enough pitcher views.

Feb 25, 2020
So, is FBC (forward by coil) correct. I know in the past some hitters seemed to FBC and some didn’t. Unless, I wasn’t looking at enough pitcher views.

Would you say "Coil"= hip flexion and "counter" rotation?(external rotation of hip aka load)

Some guys get all their hip flexion during stride. (Bellinger or anyone else who Is tall) so there is no "coil" both do happen though (ER and flexion) Some Coil while going forward I guess. CWF. Heard it here first.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This guy gets better every year. Here is something I found from 2017.

But we also know that the high pitch is a weakness for those with steep attack angles. Rendon has a flatter swing, one that results in an average launch angle of 14.3 degrees, good for 105th highest out of 380.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
He is coiling and shifting at the same time. The swing is not the shift. Very much like JD Martinez. Great swing.

Depends what you consider "the shift" to be... A hitter's COM will move forward during the stride, but stop before launch (or at launch). Most people that focus on the rear leg do not consider that the shift. The shift is when the majority of the pressure makes it to the ground below the front foot. So if you are more focused on COM, the swing is not the shift. If you are more focused on when the weight reaches the ground, the swing is the shift. In my opinion, both views are correct.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Would you say "Coil"= hip flexion and "counter" rotation?(external rotation of hip aka load)

Some guys get all their hip flexion during stride. (Bellinger or anyone else who Is tall) so there is no "coil" both do happen though (ER and flexion) Some Coil while going forward I guess. CWF. Heard it here first.
Ya'll are insanely funny (y). Thought I'd try to add another one. "F@HP"

When the stride foot heal plants, the hips make their final movement forward. For some hitters, this is pretty much their only movement forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00