Release point

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside

So, what I get from this is that the arms are in synch, such that in a normal delivery, the front and back sides would "meet," let's say at 10:00 and 2:00, and arrive together at their respective endpoints. Educate me on why that's important. I'm sure I'll slap myself in the head when you tell me.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside

Fairly upright, maybe with a slight lean back toward second base, firm front side similar to a hitter's, again with the hands reaching their endpoints at the same time?

Quick question: Hillhouse says essentially, "the elbow touches the ear and the belly button," but I never really see that in any of these clips. Is that more of an ideal than reality?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug, thanks for these. Let me digest and then I'll try to pick your brain a bit. Not sure $90/hr for a PC is in the budget right now. We do have somebody who works with our school pitchers in the offseason for free, but he tends to focus on the HS girls.

Oh, I'm not the guy whose brain you will want to pick. The pitching gurus around here include, Rick Pauly, Boardmember, Javasource, et.al.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Hillhouse says to brush your ear with your bicep and AFTER release, the forearm will brush your belly!
The thread by Rick Pauley titled "BRUSH INTERFERENCE" is what your needing.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
This is really great, but I'd like to see the next 5 minutes where he translates that into an actual delivery. Are we just shooting for a weight transfer from drive leg to back leg and back again, while keeping both feet in contact with the rubber?

Yep. Aggressively. Making sure the push from the rubber expends all potential energy in the legs... immediately, not gradually.

Boardmember and Pauly's I/R threads cover the release mechanics quite thoroughly. Understanding I/R should be priority number 1... IMO.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Yep. Aggressively. Making sure the push from the rubber expends all potential energy in the legs... immediately, not gradually.

Boardmember and Pauly's I/R threads cover the release mechanics quite thoroughly. Understanding I/R should be priority number 1... IMO.

Why isn't there a "Thanks" cubed button????

I agree with Javasource, my main mentor. I have seen my "lazy-legs" pitcher find new velocity by really working on the leg work used in Javasource's 2-step drill (or whatever it's titled).

Mar 12, 2009
I know a lot...actually most use the pre-motion that javasource explains in his 2-step drill video and my daughter used to as well but she switched to Hillhouse's method. Is one significantly better than the other or do they both provide the same momentum if used correctly? My daughter just never got comfortable with the other method but we didn't have the detailed instruction JS provided either.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Is one significantly better than the other or do they both provide the same momentum if used correctly?

That's a matter of opinion...

IMO... learning the double-pump (backswing) FIRST is more beneficial. Later on... I hear there are coaches with eagle eyes... and serpent tongues... that can spot pitches and adjust their batters swings through telepathy... at the speed of light. RFLMAO!!! Sorry... that's my take on an old conversation... ;)

To directly answer your question... both can supply the same benefits... but most often do not.

I don't force this on anyone... but I also charge for instruction... and would rather the traveling and paying parents get the most value for their dollar... by me maximizing the time together with their DD. To me... it eliminates many potential issues before they become a problem... like opening, timing, momentum, etc...

So... if I were to make a recommendation to a pitcher learning... I'd recommend a backswing... any day... every day.

Just my opinion...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06