Relaxation Techniques

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I tell the players to hear the coach before they step i the box; but once they are in the box they focus on seeing the ball only.

Aug 21, 2008
FFS: you mentioned you have several. If you would share any others I would appreciate it. Nothing much has seemed to work and I would like to give her several to try to see if one in particular is successful for her.

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Kgertie ... basically, anything that creates excess tension in the upper body is a poison wrt a good swing. There is more that can be done than simply presetting a proper wrist tension … but that is important IMO. A pre-motion … and I introduce 3-4 different types of pre-motions for hitters to tryout … can help avoid the tension that occurs from a static start. Likewise, knowing a healthy sequence, and what the ‘stretch’ actually does, goes a long way towards avoiding upper body tension. Learning how to start the swing earlier, and use the ‘stretch’ to elongate the loading portion of the swing going into transition, can avoid rapid loads, which can create excess tension. Simple knowledge of how the lower body grabs the rear shoulder at transition, and not forcing the capturing of transition with the upper body, can also show drastic improvements. Even pre-setting so as to establish ‘dynamic’ balance can lead to removal of undesired jerkiness and avoid undesired build up of excess tension. Bottom line … excess tension in the upper body is a poison.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Kids often don't understand what "relaxed" means. In fact, I don't think many people understand what "relaxed" means as to sports. Coaches should spend some time explaining the term.

Aug 21, 2008
Sluggers: Exactly. Telling a young lady to relax is not enough; showing them/making them feel how a certain action will make them relax IMO will be more effective. Sounds like Howard's approach to hitting mechanics, doesn't it???? :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Maybe but I don't believe so. She hits well off front toss both at the diamonds for batting practice and during warmups. We use TCB balls, whiffles, regular softballs, baseballs, tennis balls, whatever. She just looks and acts tense and tight during games.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Okay Kgertie, I re-read your original post and wondered if you might be trying to describe a situation where your daughter swings differently in games as opposed to her practice swings.

If you forward some video of practice and game swings, then I'll have more data to assist you with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207