Registering as a C Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
Just curious if any of you have seen anything like this before.

Last weekend my daughters 1st year 10u B team played against a team registered as a “C“ per their USSSA registration. We are pretty competitive in the B level (20-10) and were quite surprised when we got beat up pretty good by this “C” team.

Upon further research it turns out that this “C” team had a record of 27-4 last summer at the “B” level and returned seven players.

Maybe this sort of thing happens more frequently than I thought, but it seems very bush league to take a strong, predominately 2nd year B team and register as a C.

i’m guessing it’s purely trophy hunting as I can see that 80% of their games are blowout wins versus low to mid level teams C teams.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Aug 3, 2019
As an additional point, there are sufficient A level teams in our area, So it’s not like they would not be able to find competition.

May 20, 2016
I've seen it before. Last year ran into a "C" team in 12U with a pitcher throwing darn near 60. Needless to say they won the "Open" tourney. They were easily a high level B or low A team. Wasn't just the pitcher either, they made every play in the field and could hit very well.

Oct 2, 2017
Just curious if any of you have seen anything like this before.

Last weekend my daughters 1st year 10u B team played against a team registered as a “C“ per their USSSA registration. We are pretty competitive in the B level (20-10) and were quite surprised when we got beat up pretty good by this “C” team.

Upon further research it turns out that this “C” team had a record of 27-4 last summer at the “B” level and returned seven players.

Maybe this sort of thing happens more frequently than I thought, but it seems very bush league to take a strong, predominately 2nd year B team and register as a C.

i’m guessing it’s purely trophy hunting as I can see that 80% of their games are blowout wins versus low to mid level teams C teams.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I don't think I've seen that yet in USSSA, I'm sure it happens though. Over the weekend my DD played in a USA sponsored tournament 5 teams total. It was the first time her team has played one. The first day they played 4 pool play games and did really well. The second day, it was 3 teams left, my DD's and 2 others. Those 2 they faced each had a new pitcher that was not on the lineups the previous day they played them. They weren't even present. They were pretty decent to. Not sure if that is normal under USA or what. Still no excuses on my DD's team though. They faught hard and came out 2nd place

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
This is a ridiculous thread . Trophies are life changing........

A $20 piece of plastic will have a lot of people lying, cheating just to have their Facebook status changed. It's shameful

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Weak tournament directors are as much to blame as the teams. The softball community is small enough to know when you have sandbaggers and then move them up appropriately. The local USSSA ones in Florida are very good - your mileage will vary.

Aug 25, 2019
Up here in the Northeast, there really isn't any C teams. Most teams register as B teams regardless how good or bad they are. Quite a few teams do register as A.

Apr 28, 2014
I remember a 12u team in our area that was registered as a C for Usssa.
They "got lucky " and won 3 of their first 4 tournaments that summer, only reason we knew was that they basically purchased highway Billboards to announce their success :)
. Fall comes and they were moved up to B by Usssa. Coaches were furious. They started to face tougher competition and were not ready for it. The parents that is. They went .500 that fall.
A smart person once told me that as a young team a .500 record is exactly what you want.
Many of those kids from that team no longer play softball.
RIP Panthers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma