A/B/C

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2019
How would you personally define A level, B level, C level in your local geography? Has any recent increase in number of teams affected this? Thinking of 12u age group.

Jun 8, 2016
How would you personally define A level, B level, C level in your local geography? Has any recent increase in number of teams affected this? Thinking of 12u age group.
No current (Fall 2021) 12U A team here in OK would place top 15 in Alliance/PGF Nationals. Too many teams, not enough talent…I would say only only 1 or 2 teams in all age groups would be able to place that high..

Apr 20, 2015
National level travels nationwide and at something really prestigious at the end of the season like pgf, upper tier of alliance...A level best teams locally can compete on a regional level but generally not deep enough to compete with national level teams, B level 1 solid pitcher, not as solid all the way down the batting line up as the A level teams, C teams more emerging first time players and some better teams that like to trophy hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
Here I would say the “A” teams are the 2nd year age group teams who play in PGF qualifiers or play up a whole age group in USSSA “Open” tourneys. Solid lineup and 3+ pitchers who would be #1 on a B team. Compete well at USSSA Nationals.

“B” teams are your typical travel team here who stick to USSSA tourneys. Bottom of the lineup might struggle, usually 1-2 good pitchers and 1-2 others who can eat some innings.

“C” level is rec All-Stars who might have 1 good pitcher. Another pitcher who can eat innings. Maybe 3-4 decent hitters if lucky - rest will struggle with better pitching. Play USSSA “C” tourneys and might win an occasional USSSA “B” tourney.

Here there is also a big difference between “A” teams and true “Gold” or National teams. They will win PGF qualifiers and go to Huntington Beach; they will play in TC Nationals; and they avoid USSSA. They also hit the big name showcase events.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD finished playing with a B level 16U TB team. We did not travel much.

There are a handful of legitimate A Teams in our area. They will take anyone on at anytime. Might not win but it should be close. Expensive as they travel quite a bit. Curious how many players do not tryout because of cost.

C is better then rec. Allstar Team but I think that is good comparison. Do not travel to much.

Liked previous post that B Team is everyone else.

Committed to game but maybe not willing or able to pay the cost in time and money. These are the biggest wildcards, you never know what you are running into.

Oct 4, 2018
I liked a description I read here once.

Solid pitching makes a C team into a B team
Good hitting in the 6 and 7 spot takes that B team to a B+ team
Good hitting in the 8 and 9 spot takes that B+ team to an A team

Both my girls are on B+ teams. We just have a few holes in the lineup on the offensive side. Both teams are going up to A this fall, against some really good teams. I'm concerned.

Jun 8, 2016
Both my girls are on B+ teams. We just have a few holes in the lineup on the offensive side. Both teams are going up to A this fall, against some really good teams. I'm concerned.
It isn’t football..what is the worse that can happen? They get run-ruled a half dozen times?

Oct 4, 2018
It isn’t football..what is the worse that can happen? They get run-ruled a half dozen times?

Yup. Concerned that the losses will result in either:

A) less passion/love for the game
B) less fun
C) more pressure from coach
D) Combo of the above

I'm in the camp that winning between 40% and 60% of your games is a healthy place to be.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yup. Concerned that the losses will result in either:

A) less passion/love for the game
B) less fun
C) more pressure from coach
D) Combo of the above

I'm in the camp that winning between 40% and 60% of your games is a healthy place to be.
Most of that is dependent on the coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812