recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2010
I think you have asked the same question on College Confidential. I don't have an account there, though I am always reading CC. You need to answer the questions over there to get some more info from those folks.

As others have said, you need to consider where she would like to attend school. What does she want to study, location, public or private, small or large school, rural or urban, etc. Also, consider her GPA and any SAT/ACT/PSAT/PLAN scores. Those will play a large roll in which schools are "possible".

My two older ones play/played softball and sort of went through the recruiting process at the D3 level. If your kid is not a super serious, stud player, D3 may be the place to start. Also, in our experience, unless you go to one of the really big showcase events, the local showcases are typically a waste of time. Not many college coaches there or not the colleges that the kid wants to attend. One thing that might be of value is an NFCA recruiting camp, if there is one near you. They usually have a lot of coaches there. My kids have gone to Pennsbury Academic Camp (not near you) and have had interest (though not from the schools they really liked).

Your kiddo needs to email coaches of schools that she would like to attend. And keep emailing them. Not so much as to annoy them, but to let them know she is still interested in the school. My middle kid, who is a HS senior, had not heard from one particular coach for six months or more, even though she has applied to the school. The other day, she got an email from the coach - sounds like coach needs players for Fall 2016 and that might help my kid in admissions (this is a very selective school, so softball could help with admissions).

Travel ball coaches might be able to help too, though middle kid's coaches didn't have a lot of experience with the academically selective schools, so they didn't really understand her situation. Her current coach told me that he did not need her SAT/ACT scores for showcases, just GPA, because, "Coaches are really just interested in GPA." Umm, last time I looked, schools with single digit acceptance rates were interested in test scores.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Please consider finding a team that does showcases and recruiting. It will help. I see you are in Houston area. Houston is flush with teams that have this exposure and recruiting experience. Others offered great advice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
In addition to what others have suggested she needs to look at what level she’s interested and able to play. Attending camps and honestly evaluating her to others there is a good place to start. If her interest/ability is D1 she needs a travel/showcase team ASAP. If her interest is a local DII/DIII school she can get their attention without traveling out of state to the big tourney’s.

Feb 15, 2016
In addition to what others have suggested she needs to look at what level she’s interested and able to play. Attending camps and honestly evaluating her to others there is a good place to start. If her interest/ability is D1 she needs a travel/showcase team ASAP. If her interest is a local DII/DIII school she can get their attention without traveling out of state to the big tourney’s.

MNDad, if you had known your DD would go to ISU would/could you have done it differently?

Feb 15, 2016
Please consider finding a team that does showcases and recruiting. It will help. I see you are in Houston area. Houston is flush with teams that have this exposure and recruiting experience. Others offered great advice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. If your DD is on a good team with good players, coaches will be out there watching.

Nov 18, 2013
MNDad, if you had known your DD would go to ISU would/could you have done it differently?

After going through the process I'd do a lot of things differently. The biggest would be taking ownership of the process early on. We spent too much time waiting to hear from colleges or waiting for her coaches to talk to them. If I did it again I'd start in 7th grade getting to camps so she'd be ready for them when it started to count later on. I'd contact schools instead of relying on her travel coaches. And most of all I'd ask more questions and not worry what a coach might think.

If I knew she'd choose ISU we'd still visit colleges of all sizes and types so she'd know all of her choices. ISU was nowhere on her radar when she started and you never know what a school is like until you get on campus.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Since you are in Houston. I would recommend attending a Scout Softball event. The Founder Mark Mulvaney is based in Houston I believe. He has several events near you. Well priced and you will get honest feedback and appraisal of DD's skill. You can spend as much as you want or only the minimum. Good starting point for an evaluation of her skills. Then decide what path to take with her exposure. scout helped my daughter to get exposed to over 300 schools. Got 27 offers, from D-1 down to NAIA. Ended up signing early at a D-2 that never saw her on Scout. Still money well spent with them.

Scout Softball - College Softball's Scouting Service

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207