Recruiting Services

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2013
I am a dad that is new to this whole game and need advice. My DD is a freshman and we are just starting to think about colleges(I know I might be late). What are your opions on online recruiting services? Which ones are good? Do they help? She plays on an A level travel team but the coaches aren't that up on recruiting information. Its a new organization and although our team is very good, it does lack the experiance in getting girls recruited. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Welcome to the Community!!! Hope you can find help here.

I take it you are from the West Coast...I'm for mid-West. You might find it interesting that one of your big schools out there, recruited a girl from my area in 8th grade.

Can't help you at that level, as my DD is only 10U... But if I was you, I would never rule out practicing, and playing with the intention of being a walk on...

Other's who can will help you soon... :{)) Goday

Dec 7, 2011
I never pulled the trigger on any service so I can't help there but here is my recommendation:

Read the blogs here (ya there will be alot of "noise", mine included :), but in the end I think you will end up with a good education on what to do and what not to do)

I would look into schools your DD wants to go to and get on their camp/exposure schedule. Then it's up to your DD to perform the 'Dives-n-Drives' that are required to get noticed at these events (line Drives and defensive Dives for balls)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What are your opinions on online recruiting services?
Not much.
She plays on an A level travel team but the coaches aren't that up on recruiting information.

Not unusual.

Buy this book: PREPARING TO PLAY SOFTBALL AT THE COLLEGIATE LEVEL by Catharine Aradi
Here is her website: Cathy's Web Site

Bottom line: *YOU*, not the coaches and not any recruiting service, has to find your DD a place to play.

Softball isn't men's football or men's basketball. So, *you* have to start contacting coaches and creating some interest in your DD. The place to start is to sit down with your DD and talk to her about what she wants to do after college. Talk to her about where she wants to go to school (urban campus, campus-in-middle-of-nowhere, MickeyD U, Ivy League, etc.). Contact the schools your DD is interested in.

This is very important: Somehow, someway, objectively evaluate your DD's ability level. You have to focus on schools where your DD can play. It might be D2 or D1. It might be a community college. Somehow, you have to figure it out so you can target the right coaches.

(True story: There was a 5'3" girl who couldn't make a three-point shot. She thought she could play hoops for U Conn. She and her dad spent hours trying to convince U Conn to give her a scholarship.)

If this sounds like selling, it is. You have to do the leg work. Don't count on anyone else to do it for you.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
Everyone's mileage may vary, but I don't know anyone who made a connection through a recruiting service. My DD got her tap on the shoulder by attending camps and playing on high profile teams. Her college coach even remarked in a video introducing DD's recruiting class that coach knew DD would always be at camp and already knew their program backwards and forwards. That seems to be the process for most of DD's teammates and peers as well.

Sep 17, 2009
This is very important: Somehow, someway, objectively evaluate your DD's ability level.

And sometimes the world does it for you....is she playing varsity as a freshman (or sophomore at worst)? Is she all-conference, all-area, all-state? Do you get calls from random higher-level travel teams recruiting her? Well then you may be on to something as far as D1 opportunities go....

That stuff not happening? Don't give up, there's plenty of DIII opportunities for smart kids who love the game and are aggressive about talking to schools and coaches.

Good luck.

Nov 3, 2009
We used the Cathi Aradi book and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants to play college softball - or isn't sure if it's for them. Great information! Good resources for college contacts as well.
Our high school holds a seminar every year with a rep from a large recruiting company giving the presentation about what they can do to get your athlete recruited. They make it sound like you are an idiot if you even consider trying to get your kid recruited without their help. My daughter signed her NLI in November WITHOUT ever using a recruiting service! Here's what we did:

She wrote countless letters to college coaches and responded to EVERYONE who wrote back and expressed an interest.
She attended softball camps at universities she had an ACADEMIC interest in as well as softball interest. These were wonderful opportunities for her to see the coaches, players, see the school, and see if it was a realistic option. Also went to various exposure camps where there were coaches from a variety of schools.
Played on a high quality softball travel team that went to the top exposure tournaments where she had ample opportunities to be seen by a large number of college coaches.
At the end of every tournament day, she e-mailed all the coaches who came to watch the games with updated schedules for the rest of the tournament. She updated coaches frequently with stats and achievements.
Academics count!!! She maintained honor roll status throughout high school.

It's important to keep an open mind about universities - even though your daughter has her heart set on an SEC school or Big Ten, etc, that may not be realistic - but there are WONDERFUL universities out there that will provide excellent academics as well as great softball - that includes D1, D2, D3 and NAIA schools!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619