Recommended glove for 8u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
So my daughter is starting 8u this year (She's currently 7) and I'm struggling trying to figure out what to buy her. I have a daughter that plays 16u, but buying her gear is super easy, the smaller kid is a struggle and I want want to make sure she's set up to be successful. Could someone give a recommendation for a decent glove to get her. Obviously she doesn't need a several hundred dollar glove, but I'm not sure on what size or if there is a good brand/model I should focus on for this young age and size.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 4, 2018
At that age we used gloves from either the shed at the rec league or from Play it Again Sports (used sporting good store).

Think we rocked a $3 Jenny Finch Mizuno for over a year.

May 6, 2015
something soft and pliable, so she can close it. dont worry about quality, as long is will not fall apart tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2019
my daughter is 8 and she is small, she has used the Rawlings Highlight series for 2 years now. It breaks in fast and is less than $50. If you want to spend some more you could try Bradley Gloves they are made for youth hands.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Get something real leather, but easy to break in (Rawlings, Mizuno, Easton will all have options), and she likes the look of. Expect to replace it no later than 10U.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
You'll definitely want to get a rawlings, probably a "horween".. I think it's their youth leather.

Haha, absolutely terrible advice! Don't get horween leather, get something cheap and flexible. But YOU should be looking at high end gloves now. By the time your DD is 12 you'll have an insatiable appetite for top quality gloves which is good for everyone!

Apr 17, 2019
The hand stall size is obviously the biggest challenge. Not what you want to hear, but the Rawlings Surecatch and the Mizuno Finch model have been good for my 8u players. They start to fall apart about the same time they outgrow them.
Here's what I tell the 8u parents:
Most important: make sure it doesn't flop off her hand (used gloves/dad's old glove...)
2nd most important: Can she open it? (not close it, don't expect them to close it all the way. Just open enough for a ball to enter without bouncing off the pinky or thumb)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019
So my daughter is starting 8u this year (She's currently 7) and I'm struggling trying to figure out what to buy her. I have a daughter that plays 16u, but buying her gear is super easy, the smaller kid is a struggle and I want want to make sure she's set up to be successful. Could someone give a recommendation for a decent glove to get her. Obviously she doesn't need a several hundred dollar glove, but I'm not sure on what size or if there is a good brand/model I should focus on for this young age and size.

Thanks in advance!
DD used a Mizuno Finch series from t-ball through 8U (amazing how a seemingly floppy glove can stiffen up with some new laces...)then she moved to a 12" Bradley H-Web FP Bandito model and loves it. Great piece of leather that broke in easily and you can pick up for around $100. It's still going strong after two years with a lot of games/practices and should last another year, maybe two before we look to upgrade.

Feb 25, 2020
I think the Wilson A950(baseball) or Aura line are pretty good for this age. Theyre a little more pricey than the beginner gloves. But they're easy to close off the shelf and they have a lot more structure(nice fingers!) while still being lightweight.

If I could go back to first year (7 y/o) I would find a coupon and get this one.

Also, I think dicks has a warranty you can buy that lets you trade it in for store credit towards another glove. So you could really get 2 for the price of one plus 15 bucks or something like that, over a year or two.

Anyways, I think that one gives the feel of a real glove to a young player while still being light enough to wield effectively.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06