Recommendation for Team Helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2011
Well the good thing is if one size needs to be swapped out after you order online RIP-IT's customer service will do that for you at no charge! I also just saw that Fastpitch matched the bat prices in response to my email! good eye @tomzpc !!

Sep 3, 2009
We got the Rip-its.

Sorry Westwind. When I asked I didn't realize that it was you that had written the earlier response in the thread where you said that you got the Rip-Its...duh. We are 12U but a young and small 12U. The Rip-It's only come in the three sizes correct? We have a few girls that are tiny little things!

Sep 3, 2009
Is the padding in the Rip-it helmets encapsulated in vinyl or a similar material like the schutt air-7s or is the open cell foam padding exposed?

Dec 11, 2010
tomzpc-No prob! Figured you just didn't notice!

The padding has a cloth shell, I think it is referred to as cool-dri or something. She has not worn it in warm weather yet, after two full weekends and various practices she still likes it. ww.

Sep 3, 2009
Well, for three of our girls the smallest Rip-It (it comes in three sizes) is still too big. So if we go with the Rip-It's we'll have to add padding like it sound you guys did Westwind.

Might go with the Schutt Air-7's. They'll cost a little more but because they come in five sizes from XS to XL, we have a size that fits each of the girls. Of course, one look at the Rip-Its and they would prefer those. Much cooler looking I guess. Not sure what we're going to do yet. It will be up to the coaches and the girls. I'm just the dad doing the homework on this one. =) Have to say that I love the Rip-It helmets, from the look and facemask right down to the padding. A little disappointed that they don't make one size smaller.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Well, for three of our girls the smallest Rip-It (it comes in three sizes) is still too big. So if we go with the Rip-It's we'll have to add padding like it sound you guys did Westwind.

Might go with the Schutt Air-7's. They'll cost a little more but because they come in five sizes from XS to XL, we have a size that fits each of the girls. Of course, one look at the Rip-Its and they would prefer those. Much cooler looking I guess. Not sure what we're going to do yet. It will be up to the coaches and the girls. I'm just the dad doing the homework on this one. =) Have to say that I love the Rip-It helmets, from the look and facemask right down to the padding. A little disappointed that they don't make one size smaller.

Schutt also has a XXS. You may need to call the provider to special order it, but they make them. My DD is 15 and still wears the XXS. Heads don't grow much, so if you get them to fit now, they should fit for years. We just replaced the XXS she got when she was 11 with a newer model. They last a long time.

Sep 3, 2009
Trying to find out the difference between the Air-7 and Air-8 helmets. No word from Schutt yet (sent an email) but have been told my a retailer that Air-7 production is being phased out at year's end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd