Recommendation for Team Helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Recommendations for Team Helmets?

Our new U12 travel team is in the market for batting helmets. Have heard good things about the Schutt Air-7 fitted helmets. Noticed that Schutt doesn't have the air-7 on their site anymore though

The RIP-IT helmets are intriguing as well. Softball Batting Helmets Read a good comment or two on them somewhere before as well.

We definitely want helmets that fit well, meaning none of the inexpensive one size fits all youth models that I see in local stores. Wondering also about the ones that come with the adjustable knob in back and if they are good. I think Rawlings or Easton makes those?

Any and all thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
About 2 weeks ago I bought DD a new Easton Stealth Grip Two-Tone helmet. It's one of the adjustable helmets in your OP.

PROS: Well built
Well padded
Adjustable
Very comfortable according to DD
Good selection of colors and very good looking.

CONS: Couldn't find a combo deal so I had to buy the facemask separate and install it myself which means it's a little pricey and requires some work. However, I wasn't buying for a whole team, didn't get a discount and there are other models which aren't quite as expensive. The only real difference between the Stealth Grip-it and the Natural Grip-It is the style of interior padding. The Natural Grip-it model can be bought in a combo for about the same price as the Stealth alone on most websites.

Dec 11, 2010
I just went through the helmet buying process for a 10u team.

Talked to alot of girls who wore 'em all. Can't go wrong with the Rip-it, Schutte, Mizuno, Worth or Easton. All come in sizes, not one size fits none.

We got the rip-its. The decision came down to fit. Rip-it had the smallest small. For 10u we still had to order additional thickness padding kits to get a couple of the smaller girls fitted. They came from Worth I think. Think we have them all in helmets that fit now.

Rip-it comes with the mask. In my opinion it is the best mask out there for weight and vision. Rip-it still gives the same coverage of the face. Look at some of the masks- they look like football masks. I don't feel it is necessary.

My older daughter plays 14u and loved younger sis' Rip-it. She has worn Rawlings One Size Fits None helmets three years running due to team requirements. I despise them. I'm also not fond of the Rawlings mask. I retrofitted the Rawlings helmets with Rip-it masks which do help her vision.

As far as appearance, the Mizuno's had a really cool looking flat color scheme but the smallest Mizuno was a touch bigger than the smallest Rip-it so it didn't work for our 10u.

Good luck. It is my opinion that that a helmet that fits is one of the most under valued pieces of equipment you can buy. It affects both hitting and base running.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
My team just bought RIP-IT Helmets. We bought them through http://www.fastpitchsales.com and they have team pricing where if you buy 6 or more helmets you get 20% off your purchase with free shipping and then everyone on your team then gets 20% off any bat purchase for a year. greatest thing ever!

Sep 3, 2009
My team just bought RIP-IT Helmets. We bought them through Softball & Baseball Gear - Easton, DeMarini, RIP-IT & More - Fastpitchsales.com and they have team pricing where if you buy 6 or more helmets you get 20% off your purchase with free shipping and then everyone on your team then gets 20% off any bat purchase for a year. greatest thing ever!

That's a good price for those helmets...brings them from $50 per to $40.

Just looked at their bat prices though and the ones I checked were 25% more expensive than justbats.com who also offers free shipping. Thanks for the helmet link and tip though.

Sep 3, 2009
Never noticed this! I think I'll shoot them an email letting them know and see if they match prices.

I did only check two bats (Easton Synge and one other) so it may not be consistent. Only reason I checked right of way is that I always order my kids bats from justbats.com and recommend them to all of my team's parents not only for their prices but also for their free shipping, so I was curious. Still don't think I'll be able to beat the $40 price for those helmets if we decide to go with the Rip-Its though. I'd like to get some feedback from people who have been using the Rip-it helmets for a year or more first though.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Our locally owned sports store was $44 and I was able to take a couple brands of helmets to practice for fitting before ordering and to let the girls give input. I love to buy on the net but it sure is nice to get help/advice/look at in person before ordering. Advice time- do your homework, give them one or two to pick from.Too many choices makes your job harder.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Our locally owned sports store was $44 and I was able to take a couple brands of helmets to practice for fitting before ordering and to let the girls give input. I love to buy on the net but it sure is nice to get help/advice/look at in person before ordering. Advice time- do your homework, give them one or two to pick from.Too many choices makes your job harder.

So what did you end up going with?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd