Reccomendations for catchers mitt to catch DD.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
My daughter is starting to throw harder than I want to catch with a fielding glove. Looking for a good catchers mitt that doesn't cost a fortune. Most of the local stores don't have a big selection of fastpitch mitts. The ones they do have tend to be fairly small, and now are trending towards the smaller female hands. Which is great for the girls, but bad for dads with big hands who want to catch them. I'm looking for something witha big deep pocket, probably 34". Looking at the ones in the stores some of the 32" or 33" seem to be larger than the 34's. Makes it hard to buy online when you can't try it on yourself, and see how big it really is. I already sent one purchased on-line back because I didn't care for it.

So, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm wanting a big sturdy mitt that doesn't cost a fortune. I'd prefer one with the closed pocket instead of the webbed pocket many are trending to now. That's not a deal breaker, I just prefer the looks of the closed back, and seems like it would be more durable. Thanks for any help.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
For the money, my favorite cathcer's mitt is the Akadema Praying Mantis. I've had mine for five years, catching not just my DD, but about 1000 pitches a week from the other girls I work with. Haven't had to do one thing to it in all this time. If you can find an Akadema rep or get that status for yourself (not hard to do), you can get this one delivered for about $75. Very little break in time, great pocket, and lots of padding.

May 11, 2009
I have used a Mizuno GSX52 MVP for 2 years now and really like it. They are about $100.00 but good padding and really feel good right off the shelf with no break in to speak of.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I just picked up a Mizuno GSX82 at the local sports shop for $70. Could probably get a better price online. I really like it, Good pocket and a major padding upgrade to my fielding glove. I'm seriously jealous about the no break in period mkral is talking about. 2 weeks of use and mine is still a bit stiff but coming along nicely.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
I also recently bought a Mizuno catchers mitt. I believe it is a baseball mitt but it works well for softball. The model number is GXC93RG and I gave $75 for it at SportsAuthority. It is really comfortable and usable right off the shelf so the only thing I am concerned about is how many years I'll get out of it.

Sep 3, 2009
For the money, my favorite cathcer's mitt is the Akadema Praying Mantis. I've had mine for five years, catching not just my DD, but about 1000 pitches a week from the other girls I work with. Haven't had to do one thing to it in all this time. If you can find an Akadema rep or get that status for yourself (not hard to do), you can get this one delivered for about $75. Very little break in time, great pocket, and lots of padding.

I second what Dave said. Akadema makes some very good gloves. If you can't find a rep local to you, I can send you the name of ours here locally. My dd has a Nokona mitt, that I personally think is the best, but they're not in your range you mentioned. Akadema would be the best in that range IMO. My dd's fielding glove is an Akadema, and the quality is VERY good for that price, nearly as good as the high dollar Nokona's I think.

Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for the info guys. I ordered the Akadema Praying mantis today. Should be in next week. My left hand is looking forward to it getting here.

Oct 12, 2009
My daughter is starting to throw harder than I want to catch with a fielding glove. Looking for a good catchers mitt that doesn't cost a fortune. Most of the local stores don't have a big selection of fastpitch mitts. The ones they do have tend to be fairly small, and now are trending towards the smaller female hands. Which is great for the girls, but bad for dads with big hands who want to catch them. I'm looking for something witha big deep pocket, probably 34". Looking at the ones in the stores some of the 32" or 33" seem to be larger than the 34's. Makes it hard to buy online when you can't try it on yourself, and see how big it really is. I already sent one purchased on-line back because I didn't care for it.

So, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm wanting a big sturdy mitt that doesn't cost a fortune. I'd prefer one with the closed pocket instead of the webbed pocket many are trending to now. That's not a deal breaker, I just prefer the looks of the closed back, and seems like it would be more durable. Thanks for any help.

Look for a baseball knuckleball mitt. They are big and will fit a man's hand.

I have a Rawlings RCM7 that was less than $100. It's listed as a 34 but is really more like a 37.

I can use it while wearing a Plamguard inner glove.

Feb 5, 2010
Heres another little glitch. I'm a lefty. I have tried the Mizuno mitts and can't get my hand into them. Are the Praying Mantis mitts any larger. My hand is not huge by any means but everything seems to be for a womans hand. There are very few left handed mitts out there and most of the better mitts are only made for a right hander. Any suggestions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles