Rec level question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
In our 10u game yesterday, there was a runner on third. The batter hit a grounder to the pitcher, she turned and started to throw to first just like I wanted her to. A bunch of parents yelled "home!" So she stopped mid-throw and turned to the plate, at which point it was too late to get the runner. She looked back at first and it was too late to get the batter.

I walked over to the bleachers and politely told the parents to please not coach during the game. We'll see what happens next game.

Apr 26, 2019
Ever been to a kids soccer game??? I've watched people who rarely raise their voices for any other reason scream at their kids and the officials (who are also often kids) the entire time. For the most part, softball is pretty tame by comparison.

That said, leadership vacuums in kid's sports invite chaos, and if you show some strength early on, most will get onboard. I used to throw it out at the first parent meeting that I welcomed help (on my terms), but wouldn't compete with them as far as who their kid listened to. Most Rec leagues aren't overflowing with competent parent coaches, and what wasn't quite said out loud was that they were welcome to go elsewhere. That didn't silence everything, but you'd be surprised how quickly many kids tune out what comes from behind the fence.

That depends on a number of variables, and your definition of "bad". Parents sometimes walked away unhappy with what they heard, but they always walked away. ;)
Soccer is THE WORST!

My younger daughter plays travel soccer. Her team is very good. That said, a few girls aren't great. Every match you see parents from both teams calling out instructions to their daughter like they are Pep Guardiola or something.

Our daughter's coach, on multiple occasions, has had to tell one of the less talented girls, "Stop listening to your parents. They aren't helping you. They are making things worse for you."

May 6, 2015
I loved in rec, both as coach and parent, we had one ump who would every game instruct the spectators "there will be no coaching or umpiring from the spectators", and he enforced it. encourage, cheer, and he let go pretty much cliche coaching encouraging phrases like "keep your eye on the ball", but that was about it. no instrucing on movement in box, no instructing on where to throw (generally, sometimes it was the entire crowd and coaches all yelling same thing).

loved that blue, he was DDs favorite. actually came to see one of her TB games.

Feb 20, 2019
I had some problem parents a couple of years ago.. Both mom and dad had admitted to me that they'd never played softball or baseball and didn't really understand the sport all that much. Fast forward 8 months and both had apparently become experts, telling me how to coach the team and shouting instructions to my outfielders while they were sitting behind home plate. The parents imparted their wisdom onto their DD as well and she suddenly became smarter than the coaches and developed some serious attitude.

Needless to say, I let the parents know they would be better off going in a different direction the following season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32