Rec league playoffs are here - conflicts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm super excited about the season we've had, finishing a game above .500 in the real games (I don't count the exhibitions vs the all-star team in our record), but now is when it's all put to the test.

At the start of the season, I informed everyone that I did not think that every game on the calendar was a must-win for this team and that while we hoped to get a few wins here and there, we were mainly focused on doing well in the tournament. I promised - and gave - everyone equal playing time throughout the season and even jumbled the batting order a few times to give the girls at the bottom a chance.

After losing our 1st game but 1 run, I did circle the rematch against them on the schedule. When we also lost *that* game in tough fashion also by 1, I then had to circle 2 more dates. As some of you have read, my Team Mom held me personally responsible for both losses, because of my sticking with or changing pitchers based on my pre-planned game roster instead of going by the actual game situation. I'm also on the hook for subsequent losses as well. lol

Now that it's playoff time, though, we're playing to win, which means that the stronger fielders are going to get more playing time. Coaching that way will be different for me, but I'm lucky to have a great group of parents and kids who totally get what we've been about all season, because we're the only ones who gave every girl a chance at virtually every position she could play, regardless of the game situation.

If we can get a win in our 1st playoff game, we'd advance to play in Saturday's championship, which has been our goal all along. We're 1-2 vs this team (the 2 1-run losses referenced earlier), but our #1 and #2 didn't give up any runs to them the last time we played, so we know we have the capability to get through.

But the playing time thing is not the real issue.

Because of rain, today's game has been postponed until tomorrow, which means we'd be missing 5 players, including #1 pitcher (DD), #1 catcher (biggest bat), and our 2B. They all have a big choir performance. :( Because we'd be so short, I've appealed to have the game moved to Thursday - the originally scheduled rain date - but have not received a response yet.

I only have 2 part-time assistant coaches, and they'd be unable to manage the game if I'm not there, but I really want to see DD sing.

The issue is that DD doesn't want to miss the game. She knows she is one of her team's leaders and said last night she would rather play than sing. Softball is her 1st love, but the choir performance was scheduled months ago.

DD wants to play, and I don't want to miss her singing. I just don't know how to handle this. I hate to take a loser's mentality on anything ever, but realistically, I don't believe we could beat this team missing 3 of our best players. We could win, but if we lost, I would hate for DD's season to come to an end without her even being on the field.

10u rec was never supposed to be this hard.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She has to sing. It is a school activity. If you want to, you can tell her, that next year she can play ball. But this year, the choir director has already made his or her plans.

Don't worry about 10U softball. We have all been there and done that. It is about school first.

May 11, 2009
I completely agree with Amy. She is committed to both but at the time of commitment there was not a scheduling issue and now there is due to softball not choir.
I would focus on your appeal since you said that the original rain date was Thursday. I would think you have a pretty good leg to stand on there.

Jan 20, 2010
If all else fails can't she do both to some extent? Are they exactly at the same time and the same length? Is her performance one of many (you get dirty looks but I have walked my daughter out after her performance was over to make a softball game)?

Feb 3, 2011
Update: the league as well as the opposing coach were sympathetic to our situation, so we got the game moved to Thursday, albeit on our secondary fields, which is fine with me. I think it may have helped a bit that the other coach also has a choir member and 1 of his best players away on a field trip until Thursday. :)

I admire DD's commitment to softball, but would've taken 2 borrowed players and rolled the dice. The hardest part for me would not have been telling her she couldn't play, but rather that I wouldn't get to see her sing.

Feb 3, 2011
If all else fails can't she do both to some extent? Are they exactly at the same time and the same length? Is her performance one of many (you get dirty looks but I have walked my daughter out after her performance was over to make a softball game)?
I looked at that initially, but the start time on the concert is 6pm, so the only thing we could've gotten out of her would be 1 at-bat. A 7pm start on the concert would've allowed her to play 45 minutes, enough for 2-3 innings in the circle and a couple of at-bats.

Thank goodness I haven't upset the board and opposing coaches too much this season. lol

Jan 25, 2011
I only have 2 part-time assistant coaches, and they'd be unable to manage the game if I'm not there, but I really want to see DD sing.

How do your unworthy assistant coaches feel about what you wrote.

Feb 3, 2011
How do your unworthy assistant coaches feel about what you wrote.
They're limited by their work and social schedules and can only be there on occasion. Assuming either could get away to even make it to the game, they doesn't know our pitchers that well or the tendencies of the other team's players and coach. They've helped as much as they could this season, but not having kids on the team themselves, there was not as much obligation on them to get to practices and games.

Team Mom would also be at the concert, which would mean the only available managers would have to come from the stands.

If that happens for a regular-season game, it happens. But this is the 1st-ever playoff game for a lot of our players and they deserve to get their best from me, because the stakes are higher for them.

Feb 3, 2011
We went to the concert last night and it was so enjoyable to hear all those little voices doing their thing. I would really hate to have missed it. After an all-day rehearsal, Mojo told her mom she wanted to quit choir on the spot (another girl did just quit last week), but mom would not hear of it and DD did a wonderful job with her little solo. I honestly had no idea her singing voice was that beautiful. She definitely got that gift from her mom. :)

I'm very proud of her for sticking with what has been a year-long commitment and to see it all come together last night with the ensemble from all the area's elementary schools plus the high school was a truly special event for everyone.

Now, though, the weather is all clear, so it's back to softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck