Rec ball vs travel ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2010
My dd is finishing up her 10u rec ball league this year. Several of the girls on her team are going to play travel ball next year instead of rec ball. My dd has said that she wants to spend time this off season working on getting better for next year. My question is this: At what point does travel ball become better for the dd?? I don't want her to get burned out on the sport, but at the same time I want to give her the opportunity to reach her potential.

Feb 9, 2009
How is taking time off from the sport going to get her better?

If she wants to get better, then she needs to play with a team...
Rec ball, in my area, isn't going to do it. If she wants to get better, she needs to play with a team that will challenge her, ie: travel ball.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
My dd is finishing up her 10u rec ball league this year. Several of the girls on her team are going to play travel ball next year instead of rec ball. My dd has said that she wants to spend time this off season working on getting better for next year. My question is this: At what point does travel ball become better for the dd?? I don't want her to get burned out on the sport, but at the same time I want to give her the opportunity to reach her potential.

Travel ball will always be better, she should have been playing it already IF she is a strong enough player and IF she wants to excel and have a shot to play in college. Okay, at 10 she may not have that desire yet, so its up to you to recognize her talents and push her to develop them. If she doesnt like it, she will figure that out in due time and let you know. Every athletic kid I have seen has loved competitive sports, whether it is travel softball, baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc. There is no substitute for dedication, competition, and playing with a team where everyone plays at the same high level.

I interpret you statement as saying that several girls on her team will try out for travel ball next year. It is not a given that any will make it, especially not on "good" teams.

Oct 18, 2009
Travel ball is definitely a step up. I dont know your area, but in our area there are all different levels of travel ball. If possible, the most important thing is to make sure you find her the right team with the right level of play for her. If she makes a team that is too good or too talent filled or too competitive she may not play as much as you envision which could discourage her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
:) I don't think she said that she wants to take time off. She said that she wants to work on her skills during the off season.

But, I have seen rec teams that the girls would have been better off not playing at all on.

Jun 14, 2010
She definitely wants to work on her game this winter! Just found out last night that she made the Little League all star team for our area, so she is excited about that. Before this year she wasn't ready for travel ball so I was just happy that she was playing softball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I coach both travel and rec 10u. Travel will definately be better for your dd. Most of the players can almost do what they are suppose to be doing. Like catch a pop fly, stay behind the grounders, or even stay in the box when a strike is thrown. My dd catches and more times then not the ss and 3rd on my rec will miss or drop her throw out attempts, and we have a successful rec team. Most area have several travel teams per organization, separated by talent level. At 10u, you don't have to be a super star to get on a travel team. We have played against nearly a hundred 10u teams, there are some really good players, but more then not, most are still very early in developement. If your daughter is semi athletic, the travel coaches can develope her into a good player.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414