Ready for 3rd pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
1st pitch-fast ball
2nd pitch-change up

My DD is ready to start learning a 3rd pitch and her pitching coach has suggested the curve. My question......what has been everyone elses DD's 3rd pitch

Jun 24, 2009
3rd screw ball. She had tendencies in her mechanics that way.4th curve,5th drop,6th rise.Starting to let her weaker pitches go and concentrate on the stronger ones.

Jul 26, 2010
I've seen all different pitches taught as the third pitch. The easiest, I think, is also the most effective, which is the drop. Pitches that break on a perpendicular axis to the batters swing are generally more effective then those that break in parallel to the swing.

A peel drop is a relatively easy pitch to learn as is is mechanically very similar to a fastball.

-W

Aug 23, 2010
Agree with both Starsnufeer and 2bucketdad, PEEL DROP is a great 3rd Pitch to learn. Very similar to a fastball mechanically, just spinning the ball a little tighter to create that downward movement.

Mar 13, 2010
Drop, drop, drop, drop, drop.

She has those three pitches, she can rule the plate. Curves are important to have, but she needs a drop before a curve.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She needs a pitch that changes vertical planes. A drop is the usual next step. Your coach is probably planning to teach her to throw a curve in preparation for learning the rise.

Johnny is confident that his DD can throw 6 different pitches. I, personally, have my doubts.

BLB

May 19, 2008
The world's best pitchers (male) use a rise, drop and change speeds. I don't understand why teen aged girls would be interested in trying to learn 6 different fantasy pitches. Isn't it tough enough to develop 2 or 3 effective pitches? Am I missing something?

Mar 13, 2010
You don't have bragging rights if you don't have six pitches!

Also remember BLB, that from what I understand if the girls don't pitch at college, they don't play fastpitch softball again. In Canada, Australia and New Zealand fastpitch continues well into adulthood. So if they don't learn it and master these pitches as teenagers, they never will.

It's a damn shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd