Rant- Google doesn't make you a pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Just because you've googled some videos and talked to some college coaches and watched some kids pitch that dos not make you a pitching coach. When a kid tells you she has a pitching coach you should back off. If a kid pitches and makes her defense work! And the don't do their job that is not the pitcher! if your defense is missing easy grounders and pop ups don't punish the pitcher

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nice rant!

If the batters are hitting the ball hard all the time it is hard to blame the defense. They do not need to strike everyone out but when balls are being hit hard all over the place it is more on the P then the defense.

YouTube is your friend, 99% of the pitching videos are great!

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Do you have a point here?

I warned you in the title it was a Rant? That means I'm about to have a bitch session if you don't want to read it don't. But yes my point is every coach thinks they can teach pitching not every coach can or should that's my point, take it or leave it idk. Also don't punish the pitcher if your defense looks like , I thought that was pretty clear

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So if your ability to google some videos makes you a pitching coach, then it stands to reason that:

If you are born in a hospital then it makes you a doctor.

If you eat a restaurant then it make you a chef...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
MS game a couple years ago we had a new player/ parent on the Team. We were getting whopped and the HC went out to talk to the P.

Parent turned to me and asked, why the hell is he going out to talk to her? She is the only one on the entire Team doing her job. :)

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
So if your ability to google some videos makes you a pitching coach, then it stands to reason that:

If you are born in a hospital then it makes you a doctor.

If you eat a restaurant then it make you a chef...

What does qualify someone? Unlike a Dr, where there are certain criteria, there is none for a pitching coach.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What does qualify someone? Unlike a Dr, where there are certain criteria, there is none for a pitching coach.

I would start with knowing what you do not know, followed by the ability to articulate why you are teaching a certain way. Something beyond "it is how I have seen it taught" or "I think this is how they do it." I tell my students and their parents to feel free to challenge anything I teach. If I cannot explain the why to their satisfaction then we need to take serious stock in what we are doing.

Jun 12, 2015
Very thankful our coaches do not try to instruct our pitchers! No, no, no. Not cool.

Well, I've been reading on DFP long enough now that I think I'm qualified to teach pitching. I'm going to charge $50 a lesson. Actually I think I'll teach hitting too. Who's ready to sign up?

*crickets*

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is a place here that caters to SB players, not baseball and some SB.

I questioned something the instructor was telling DD. Not only did she explain it to me what they were trying to accomplish but the owner and person in charge sent me an Email the next day. Hard to beat that, she has better things to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah