Rankings--

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would like to see a conference announce they will choose players based on stats with a minimum AB requirement. They all faced the same competition so the players with the highest OPS are automatically chosen regardless of their grad year or any other politics.

Jun 8, 2016
I have the same feeling about conference awards as I do about the rankings. It is nice to be recognized (and parents have every right to celebrate that with their child) but the only person you need to really impress is yourself…that’s always unbiased.

(ok and maybe your Dad too 😂)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Ok, how about strongly considered? How could anybody justify one player getting 1st team honors with an OPS .175 points lower than a player receiving 2nd team honors. OPS (ON base percentage plus Slugging) is a tell all, IMO, when it comes to hitting stats.
I am not fond of a player being chosen over another simply because she is an upperclassmen and the idea the statistically better freshman will have a chance to recieve the honors next year. Just award the better players and keep the feelings/politics out of it.

Jun 8, 2016
Ok, how about strongly considered? How could anybody justify one player getting 1st team honors with an OPS .175 points lower than a player receiving 2nd team honors. OPS (ON base percentage plus Slugging) is a tell all, IMO, when it comes to hitting stats.
Maybe the kid with a lower OPS was a better defender? Or do you have somebody specific in mind where you know this isn’t the case 😂

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I am not fond of a player being chosen over another simply because she is an upperclassmen and the idea the statistically better freshman will have a chance to recieve the honors next year. Just award the better players and keep the feelings/politics out of it.
In a perfect world, stats such as BA, runs scored, SB, RBI’s, OB% should all be considered. Why would you take a prototypical lead-off hitter out of the running just because she doesn’t hit for power? The table-setters play just as important a role offensively.

I also agree with RAD - defense absolutely should to be considered.

If we‘re talking about a true DH spot, then I could agree that the OPS be weighed heavily.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In a perfect world, stats such as BA, runs scored, SB, RBI’s, OB% should all be considered. Why would you take a prototypical lead-off hitter out of the running just because she doesn’t hit for power? The table-setters play just as important a role offensively.

I also agree with RAD - defense absolutely should to be considered.

If we‘re talking about a true DH spot, then I could agree that the OPS be weighed heavily.
There are 3 positions in fastpitch. Pitcher, catcher and hitter. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207