Radar Gun recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
I am looking for serious recommendations about which type of radar gun to buy for clocking pitch and throw speeds.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Never used a pocket radar, so cannot comment on it's accuracy or ease of use. I bought a cheap Bushnell that you can find on Ebay for @ $60-80. I found over the years that I only put a radar on my DD about every 3-4 months, so I do not use it as often as I thought I would, but still nice to have for a reasonable price. If you want to carry something to tournaments and clock every pitcher then spend the $160 on the pocket radar.

Bushnell Velocity Baseball Softball Radar Speed Gun | eBay

Apr 9, 2012
Thank you guys. Pocket radar research shows its pretty accurate.

Any idea how accurate the Bushnell is? dont want to say dd is this fast and look like an idiot......lol

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I have compared the jugs and pocket radar and found the pocket radar
to be within 1 mph. I am sold on rev fire balls now though, much easier to use
and I trust the technology behind it (or I like the kool-aid)

Dec 7, 2011
Thank you guys. Pocket radar research shows its pretty accurate.

Any idea how accurate the Bushnell is? dont want to say dd is this fast and look like an idiot......lol

In my sample of one that I had - the Bushnell seemed to be fine until DD got over the 50 mph mark. Her PC & I went for a whole year seeing advances and the Bushie would just pump out "52". We then hit an exposure camp and confirmed it pegged out at 52 on softballs and that DD had progressed well beyond.

It was just sports balls too. I could carry it with me in my car and accurately read signs going past really well. It just couldn't handle the ball (or locked onto the arm...?). Whatever the reason it had to go.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In my sample of one that I had - the Bushnell seemed to be fine until DD got over the 50 mph mark. Her PC & I went for a whole year seeing advances and the Bushie would just pump out "52". We then hit an exposure camp and confirmed it pegged out at 52 on softballs and that DD had progressed well beyond.

It was just sports balls too. I could carry it with me in my car and accurately read signs going past really well. It just couldn't handle the ball (or locked onto the arm...?). Whatever the reason it had to go.

It's like hit n miss with the Bushnells. I've had 3 over the years, one under and one over on MPH ( 4-5 mph ). My third BN hits pretty good as my cop friend with his $1500 Decatur Gun shows it's only off by 1 MPH.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Never really tested the accuracy of my Bushnell, but I would estimate it is accurate to within 1-2MPH.

Jun 15, 2011
A little off topic but has anyone seen a coach or parent put a radar on an opposing pitcher during the game? The two times I've seen it the dad of the opposing pitcher confronted the person angrily both times (two seperate incidents). I've never done this personally but I'm curious as to what people think. Watching the series last night you see the speed of the pitchers put out on national tv after every pitch. Same goes with baseball. But it seems that in travel ball when someone tries to measure an opposing pitcher that emotions get involved. I'm curious about what people think. Is there an ethics breach on this one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole