Radar Gun recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
A little off topic but has anyone seen a coach or parent put a radar on an opposing pitcher during the game? The two times I've seen it the dad of the opposing pitcher confronted the person angrily both times (two seperate incidents). I've never done this personally but I'm curious as to what people think. Watching the series last night you see the speed of the pitchers put out on national tv after every pitch. Same goes with baseball. But it seems that in travel ball when someone tries to measure an opposing pitcher that emotions get involved. I'm curious about what people think. Is there an ethics breach on this one?

Not sure why people get so emotional over this. I dont see any problems with it whatsoever.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
A little off topic but has anyone seen a coach or parent put a radar on an opposing pitcher during the game? The two times I've seen it the dad of the opposing pitcher confronted the person angrily both times (two seperate incidents). I've never done this personally but I'm curious as to what people think. Watching the series last night you see the speed of the pitchers put out on national tv after every pitch. Same goes with baseball. But it seems that in travel ball when someone tries to measure an opposing pitcher that emotions get involved. I'm curious about what people think. Is there an ethics breach on this one?

That's because the opposing dad has spent all day saying his 11yo is throwing 65, then the gun shows 45 and tempers fly!

Apr 9, 2012
Thank you all.

On the question Id agree with GoingDeep. Dont want to prove BD wrong.....

Radar my girls all you want. Itll just add to the intimidation factor!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008

I have never put the radar gun on a player from another team unless personally asked to by the parent or coach.
DD has had college coaches put the gun on her, but I don't think that's what you meant? One time I caught another dad clocking her, I just walked up to him and asked what her speed was :)

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think GOINGDEEP nailed it....there are too many parents out there with exaggerated claims on how fast their daughters throw....and they do not want to be 'called out'! LOL

Going back to the radar gun question. If you are just planning to use this for your DD and her development I would suggest the RevFire if you can swing it (@ $350). The speed measurement will be a little off since it is a timing device vs. a true radar gun, but more importantly it shows you the revolutions of the pitch, which is KEY for movement pitches. I would trade a few MPH on a pitch for more late 'movement' any day of the week and twice on Saturdays in the middle of an ASA qualifier! LOL
RevFire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan