Quick pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
The hitter should ask the ump for time.

The batter can ask all they want, the umpire must grant time. And, umpires have been instructed they should not grant time to a batter unless there is a legitimate reason, and just because the batter thinks the pitcher is taking too long is not a legitimate reason.

Apr 28, 2019
The batter can ask all they want, the umpire must grant time. And, umpires have been instructed they should not grant time to a batter unless there is a legitimate reason, and just because the batter thinks the pitcher is taking too long is not a legitimate reason.
Too long is not the issue here. It’s pitcher working too fast before batter is ready.
I instruct my hitters to take a swing at half speed, take a full speed swing, back foot in check distance from plate and then swing in front foot and ready to hit.

Apr 28, 2019
Too long is not the issue here. It’s pitcher working too fast before batter is ready.
I instruct my hitters to take a swing at half speed, take a full speed swing, back foot in check distance from plate and then swing in front foot and ready to hit.
Most umps are good guys/gals. They try and accommodate everybody as best they can.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...As a pitcher when things are going well you want to work fast. When things aren’t going your way you take your time between pitches...

This would be an example of a pitcher who really needs some high level coaching. Pitching requires discipline and this is a terrible plan.

Apr 28, 2019
This would be an example of a pitcher who really needs some high level coaching. Pitching requires discipline and this is a terrible plan.
You want to gather yourself and correct your mistakes before the game gets out of hand. You don’t just keep plugging along at the same pace and expect a different result. That’s foolish. Do something to change things up. Take extra time to compose yourself and maybe frustrate the hitter a little at the same time.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You want to gather yourself and correct your mistakes before the game gets out of hand. You don’t just keep plugging along at the same pace and expect a different result. That’s foolish. Do something to change things up. Take extra time to compose yourself and maybe frustrate the hitter a little at the same time.

You work the process and keep a proper tempo. That is critical for consistent pitching. You control the game, you do not let it control you.

May 29, 2015
From 2016 NFHS (Sorry, that’s the most recent on my iPad):

Rule 6 Pitching SECTION 1 PITCHING REGULATIONS (F.P.)
ART. 1 . . . Prior to starting the delivery (pitch), the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot on or partially on the top surface of the pitcher’s plate and the non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher’s plate. Both feet must be on the ground within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate.

a. Prior to pitching, the pitcher must take a position with shoulders in line with first and third base with the ball in the glove or pitching hand, and with the hands separated.
b. While in this position, the pitcher shall take (or simulate taking) a signal from the catcher.
c. After completing “b” above, the pitcher shall bring the hands together in front of the body for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. The hands may be motionless or moving.

d. The pitcher shall not be considered to be in pitching position unless the catcher is within the lines of the catcher’s box and in position to receive the pitch.
e. The pitcher may not take the pitching position on or near the pitcher’s plate without having possession of the ball.

Skipping ahead a little:

ART. 4 . . . No pitch shall be declared when:
a. the pitcher pitches during a suspension of play.

b. the pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the batter has taken position or is off balance as a result of a previous pitch.

So, short answer, no a quick pitch is not legal.

However, a batter failing to pay attention does not make it a quick pitch. I had this several times today in a 12u tournament. We all seemed settled in and ready (pitcher, catcher, batter, and I), the pitcher would go into her windup, and then the batter saw something more interesting somewhere else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad