Questions to ask college coaches during an unofficial visit....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD,I don't know your relationship with these coaches or their interest in your dd so keep my response in perspective. Often, colleges ask players to their camps that they might have heard of or know of a program or ... and they really don't know much about the player at all.

All three coaches have seen DD play TB and one came to one of her HS games.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JAD, next question then, if they have come to watch your dd play, have you gone to see them coach and team play? We made several trips to see potential teams/coaches so that when we went, we knew so much more about the situation.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD, next question then, if they have come to watch your dd play, have you gone to see them coach and team play? We made several trips to see potential teams/coaches so that when we went, we knew so much more about the situation.

Great idea, but will not get a chance to do that until next Spring.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We are leaving Thursday for our first camp, so I am shamlessly bumping this post to see if I can generate any additional questions we should ask! Thanks for all the responses so far!

Feb 1, 2010
I think the questions you ask on an unofficial visit depend on what kind of unofficial visit it is. I know that sounds odd, but many times, it's a tour of campus and general converstations and that's about it. Now, an unofficial visit where there is an offer made, would require some more in-depth questions.

Before going, have DD look at the school website and get some information on the school. Being informed shows the coach you have taken some time to research their school and program. Make sure the school offers the degree your DD is interested in, if she knows at this point.

I think good general questions are things like graduation rate of the girls, gpas, types of tutoring they get, how many girls on roster, how many recruits is the coach looking for in your daughters graduation year and what positions. You can also ask about the area the school is in, what are requirements for living on campus, safety on campus. But make sure your daughter asks questions herself. Like someone mentioned before, the coach is NOT recruiting you, but your daughter. We had many visits, and we always stayed back and let our DD walk with the coach and have their conversations. There was plenty of time for us to ask. In fact, the coach will more than likely ask if YOU have questions. The coaches want to see the girls they are recruiting are actively involved in the process and not just mom and dad doing it all for them. They have to be able to be comfortable with the coach because once they are there, that coach is their lifeline. My DD coach told her I want you to be comfortable enough to be able to talk to me about anything. Starting the communitication line early in so important. It can make the difference between and offer and no offer, regardless of the talent of the girl. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi