Questions on bunting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Opinions requested:

When a bunter squares, do you think it's better that she have the bat parallel to the ground, or with the barrel slightly higher than the knob?

Should a bunter aim to hit the top of the ball with the bottom of the barrel? Or aim to bunt the ball squarely?

Apr 1, 2010
I think: 1) Barrel higher. 2) Keep it simple; just concentrate on meeting the ball and deadening it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I guess it depend on what she is trying to do with the bunt. I like to see the barrel a bit higher then the knob. As for bunting top of the ball or square, it depends on where she is trying to place the bunt and if its bunting for a hit or just to move the runner up.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
FWIW....I teach my players to not move their feet, but to keep their feet where they are, then just kind of spin on the balls of their feet while bending at the knees some, so you kind of look like a sprinter getting ready for the "go" signal. Hands out front with the top of the bat further in front and above the knob; not flat, not perpendicular to the plate. To visualize what I mean, (for RHB) lay the bat on the ground with the barrel pointing toward 2nd baseman (+/-), then pick the barrel end up with the knob staying on the ground...this how I teach them to hold the bat; barrel out in front and above the knob. I teach them to look through the barrel to the ball, and to raise and lower the bat by bending up or down with their knees, always making contact out in front of you...never when its at their side & over the plate. Having the bat at this angle supposedly helps with preventing the pop-up.

For a sacrifce; try to catch teh ball with the bat.
For a hit: push the bat through the ball.

Not sure if it's the best way, so I'm open to any feedback on my instruction as well.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2013
Bunting

I've always taught to hold the bat at a 45° angle... A flat bat often leads to pop ups. Where the driven purpose of a bunt is on the ground. I tell them a flat bat is like a flat tire... No good.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Have you ever seen MLB players that can't bunt? They drive me crazy. I just square the hips, not the feet. So, you are ready to run. Hide the top hand behind the bat, flex the knees and get the bat head higher than the handle. Let the ball come to the bat and use your knees to get the ball on the ground. The hands and arms do not move much.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, folks. Good answers.

My question isn't so much about the overall technique of bunting, although that is certainly welcome.

But I was specifically curious about those two points - bat angle, and whether to bunt the ball squarely or over the top of it.

I teach barrel higher than knob and bunt squarely, but the issue came up at practice this week and I was curious how others see it.

Jul 26, 2010
The reason for the bat head being higher then the knob is so if the batter makes poor contact, the ball is more likely to be popped off the bat in foul territory rather then straight up for an easy out.

Always bunt with the tip (last three inches) of the bat for a sacrifice bunt. For a push bunt, there is no need to actually "push" the bat anymore, simply bunting with the sweet spot on a composite bat will do the trick just fine.

-W

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I teach Players to start their bat at the top of the zone then bend their knees to get at the ball, their hands or body should never go up. They need to start with the bat at an angle or the look like a pretzel at the start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd