Question for Elite Men Fastpitch players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How does a batter handle a pitcher with only a riseball and a fastball?

The men's riseball looks about 100 times harder to hit than a woman's. But, I also know that a pitcher with only a fastball and a riseball isn't going to win at the elite levels.

Why? What do the hitters do to handle it? Somehow, runs are scored in these elite fastpitch games. I'm wondering how anyone ever gets a hit. Is it just a guessing game? Or is there a strategy involved?

Thanks,

Aug 21, 2008
Sluggers

I know of no male pitchers (elite) that throw a "fastball". It may seem like a minor point but, it's an important distinction.

Bill

I do not consider myself an elite pitcher but I did face off against some on the greats. One thing I find more of in the men's game is recognization of the spin of a pitch more than in the jo, women's high school or college game. So if you know the spin then you have a better chance of hitting it. Reason for this is you can adjust your swing to hit the pitch. I agree with Bill that a person who throws a FB will get hit a lot more than a person throwing a drop, rise, ch, or even a drop curve.

Aug 21, 2008
I'd expand it to say the best female pitchers make their pitches change plains each pitch also. That's what makes Osterman, for example, so difficult to hit. Yes, people can put bat to ball on her but they don't hit it square much cause her ball MOVES. It doesn't stay flat too often. It's amazing that flat pitches get taught.

Bill

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Bill, I don't even know what a fastball is or how one would teach it. I know that your travels with girls instruction are 1,000 times more than mine but I find that most girls pitchers and catchers have no clue how their ball is spinning or how it is supposed to spin. I ask them all the time, do you see how it's spinning, and almost 99% of the ones I come across say no. Surely not a scientific poll but it has happened so often that it is mind boggling. You are acutely aware how the men who play fastpitch are in tune to all of the nuances of the game, including picking pitches, recognizing spin and so forth. When the women batters get to that level mentally, you will see the end of the "fastball".

Apr 25, 2010
I don't think you'll truly get to the end of the fastball until 98% of their coaches get their head out of their butts and teach/let the girls call their own games. JMHO. There are so many coaches that are hung up on that fastball speed, that all else is irrelevant.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I don't think you'll truly get to the end of the fastball until 98% of their coaches get their head out of their butts and teach/let the girls call their own games. JMHO. There are so many coaches that are hung up on that fastball speed, that all else is irrelevant.

Yes, I agree that there are too many coaches who think they are expert pitch callers simply because they are coaches and they know best. IMO, the art of pitch calling really can't be fully appreciated until you've called games from behind the plate (in front of the umpire, not behind the fence!). However, the other side of the fastball coin is that it makes absolutely no sense to throw movement pitches unless they move consistently and can be accurately located.

FWIW - one of the funniest things we did w/ a 1st year U14 team was using signs for 5 pitches and intentionally letting the other team "steal" them when our 4th pitcher only had a FB and change. The other team would be confused and frustrated for several innings.

Nov 29, 2009
There is a place for the fastball. That is with the young girls who are refining their pitching mechanics.

Once they have established a strong mechanical foundation then it's nothing but movement pitches. Usually by 14U most of your top pitchers are throwing multiple movement pitches.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
If taught correctly, doesn't a "fastball" move? I believe it is referred to as a "peel drop". So wouldn't the strong mechanical foundation be developing a movement pitch right out of the gate? I agree with Hillhouse, there is no place for a fastball - speed YES - fastball no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877