Question about verbal offers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My dd kept in contact with her final college choices. We signed up for each of their winter camps. The first two camps she went to she was pulled to the side after each camp (to coaches office), given an offer, and a piece of paper containing additional academic scholarships she could attain given her GPA and potential ACT test scores. One of the schools was her #1 choice, gave it three weeks, and accepted the verbal offer. She opted not to go to the third camp. Fast forward about 22 months: She signed her NLI on a Wednesday and the very next day she received mail from her college that says "Congratulations On Your Scholarship!" We thought it was a congratulatory letter about her althletic scholarship but instead it was notice of an academic scholarship! She had a great experience. This was D-1, but I'm sure the D-2, NAIA, and CC experience would be fairly similar given the same circumstances. D-3 would also be similar I suppose, without the athletic money offer.

So was the academic scholarship in lieu of a portion of athletic money or in additional to it? I know some schools try to do a mix, but was wondering how the coaching staff would present it since they do not have total control of the academic money and there are grades and test scores involved.

Dec 19, 2012
So was the academic scholarship in lieu of a portion of athletic money or in additional to it? I know some schools try to do a mix, but was wondering how the coaching staff would present it since they do not have total control of the academic money and there are grades and test scores involved.

It was additional monies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1