question about top hand release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
What are some drills or cues that can help when teaching a player who releases their top hand from the bat after contact, but before full extension? Student is a 10 year old who otherwise is making progress.

Oct 25, 2009
Some would say that top-hand release is not a bad thing as long as the release is after contact.

Using long tee, what I normally do is have them swing some with no release and then have them swing some with a release. I let them tell me which they felt was a better hit. I also judge the hit, of course. If it does nothing else at least she will feel better about trying it; so it may be easier to convert her.

The main reason I try to get them swinging with both hands is because I know just about every coach she has is going to insist on no-release. With older kids, say 16-18, I let them swing the way they want as long as the results aren't negatively affected.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
What are some drills or cues that can help when teaching a player who releases their top hand from the bat after contact, but before full extension? Student is a 10 year old who otherwise is making progress.

Have the hitter hit two balls without release, then one with release. Make sure the emphasis when talking extension is on "top hand" and backside (rear arm) extension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877