Question about new glove for 10u travel player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2016
Hi all great forum you have here. Last spring I bought my (at the time) 9 year old daughter a 12" Mizuno softball glove to get her through the rec season and her 10u travel season. I don't remember the model but it was a lower end glove. I'm all about buying good equipment that will last but were expecting a growth spurt and will be switching to the bigger ball in August so I decided to go a little cheap. Anyway long story short she ripped the glove this past week (the part that u use to tighten the glove on her wrist) and now needs a new one to finish out the spring half of travel season and this years rec league. Long story short, she still hasent grown and we still aren't into the big ball. Do I buy her a quality glove in anticipation of these changes that may. It fit now or another cheap glove to get her through (which already didn't work once). Looking for your advice and experience on this one. Thanks in advance for your help.

DS

Aug 16, 2015
No reason a 12" glove can't work for a 12" ball. My 10u daughter catches a 12" ball just fine with an 11.5" glove.

I think I'd be inclined to get a quality 12" glove if you have time to get it broken in before game use.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'd be inclined to buy another Mizuno or an equivalent although the next step up then move to a "forever" glove such as a Nokona or Vince first year 14U TB. That way, if perchance she outgrows it or wears it out before then, I wouldn't be out a bunch of money. If your DD wants to play in College, depending upon the school and level of play, many manufacturers sponsor them and they must use that sponsors equipment. By the same token, if she doesn't want to play in college or goes to one without a manufacturer sponsor, these gloves, if maintained properly will last her the rest of her softball career and beyond. As far as size goes, many middle infielders use either a 11.5, 12 or 12.5 inch glove for the 12 inch ball. So, IME, it all comes down to what fits their hands well and especially what they are comfortable with using effectively to field the ball at this age since anything bigger than a 11.5 inch glove will handle a 12" ball.

Last edited:
May 15, 2014
Atlanta
I posted this on another thread and thought it may be helpful: I got my daughter a Wilson A1000 last year when she had just turned 10. It's a 12in. super skin and very lightweight. I think it was less than $100. She isn't a very big girl and after trying a ton of gloves, it was really a perfect fit for smaller hands and not crazy expensive. I don't think Wilson makes it anymore but you might be able to find it somewhere if you google it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1