Pulling out front shoulder, open too much

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Another drill I have seen used that is helpfull for younger players is hitting off of a double tee. Set the rear tee a couple of inches higher than the front tee, and have them hit off of the front tee. Repeat drill until hitter can hit the ball without hitting the rear tee. Repeat often to keep the correct swing patch. Impossible to hit the ball without hitting the rear tee if they are dropping their hands.

Good luck. My DD is 15 now and still the dropping of the hands and rear shoulder rears its ugly head sometimes.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Another drill I have seen used that is helpfull for younger players is hitting off of a double tee. Set the rear tee a couple of inches higher than the front tee, and have them hit off of the front tee. Repeat drill until hitter can hit the ball without hitting the rear tee. Repeat often to keep the correct swing patch. Impossible to hit the ball without hitting the rear tee if they are dropping their hands.

Good luck. My DD is 15 now and still the dropping of the hands and rear shoulder rears its ugly head sometimes.

Cabrera would hit the rear tee, and his swing path looks pretty good.

2cfdr3d.gif

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Yes, well great for Cabrera. Don't really care about that. It is a drill to keep hitters from dropping their hands and swinging flat or with an uppercut. The rear tee is set only about a foot behind the front one. Don't like the idea or drill? Great, don't use it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes, well great for Cabrera. Don't really care about that. It is a drill to keep hitters from dropping their hands and swinging flat or with an uppercut. The rear tee is set only about a foot behind the front one. Don't like the idea or drill? Great, don't use it.

The problem with the 2-tee drill that you've described is that it requires the hitter to create a swing pattern with a downward barrel path to contact, which is not ideal. A short and direct hand path is fine, but the barrel path is different. In a good swing, the barrel would hit the rear tee.

Sometimes over-exaggeration can be an effective way to get a hitter to feel something new. We just need to be careful that other issues are not created in the process.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Hmmm … the rear tee is “a couple of inches higher than the front tee” ***AND*** “the rear tee is set only about a foot behind the front one”.

The more you describe the drill, the more I don't like it. Good hitters would fail this drill.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
"Good hitters would fail this drill."

Absolutely. It they were good hitters, then they wouldn't need this drill in the first place. Look, the guy asked for ways to help with bat drag, and dropping the hands. This drill helps with hitters that are dropping the hands and hitting nothing but weak pop ups. Obviously it is going to be a more downward short swing to be able to hit the ball, and not the rear tee. It is not the IDEAL swing path. Never said it was. What is does is correct the uppercut, pop up hitter.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Doing opposite field tee work and soft toss can help w stepping out and the front shoukder issue. The dbsf is a different story

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA